Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet adaptor problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aesis

Aesis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

Problem: When I connect a cable to my computer, it is not recognised/connected and doesn't connect. This occurred shortly after I got the laptop after I changed the HDD to and SSD with the same windows, but from a disk at home. At the beginning it didn't work but after going into the advanced settings of the adapter and played around with the cable speed & duplex, it ended up accepting a 10Mbps Full Duplex cable (the cable is actually 100Mbps) at some point it just stopped working. At the beginning I thought it was because I messed up the drivers somewhere (I was downloading them from Sony's official site for the specific model) but I had trouble getting the bluetooth working and I thought that reinstalling that driver 10+ times messed up something else. But today I reinstalled with the same windows, downloaded the same drivers and installed things only once. This time it didn't work at all. The only possibility I see is changing the cable (which would be a drag considering it's going trough the walls and everything. So I was wondering if there was something else that could probably fix it.

Specs:

Sony Vaio VPCF22M1E

i7-2630QM Processor

6GB RAM

GT 540M

Win7 Home Premium x64

Full specs: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/VPCF22M1E/list

Edited by Aesis, 25 June 2016 - 04:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? What is the chipset used for Ethernet? It will list it under the Network Adapter Section.

Do you have another computer with Ethernet to test your cable? Have you tried a new Ethernet cable from the computer to the wall jack? There are devices to check your Ethernet wiring. 

There is also USB to Ethernet adapters that would work. The computer has USB 3.0 ports so a Gigabit adapter would be available.

#3 Aesis

Aesis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? What is the chipset used for Ethernet? It will list it under the Network Adapter Section.

Do you have another computer with Ethernet to test your cable? Have you tried a new Ethernet cable from the computer to the wall jack? There are devices to check your Ethernet wiring. 

There is also USB to Ethernet adapters that would work. The computer has USB 3.0 ports so a Gigabit adapter would be available.

it says PCIe GBE Family controller. No yellow exclamation marks. I have another computer to test, but I don't know if I will have time today. I have no wall jack near me, a month ago the router was fairly close but it was moved quite far. I'll see if I can do something. I have 3 USB ports, 2 of them USB3 and both taken by Mouse and keyboard, the third one is USB2 and I use it for plugging USBs/printer. I have a USB coupler at home but when connected, if it has a USB in and I try to plug in something else none of the 2 work (as if there wasn't enough power) if I take up the 3rd port with an ethernet adapter, I have no more space.

Results:

Other computer same cable-Not working, same problem.

Another cable-Not tested

Edited by Aesis, 25 June 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:48 PM

You currently connect with Ethernet or Wireless? Right click the GBE adapter. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line into your next post.

#5 Aesis

Aesis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

You currently connect with Ethernet or Wireless? Right click the GBE adapter. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line into your next post.

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_9089104D&REV_06

I connect with WIFI since ethernet doesn't work at all (if set at Auto, says Cable unplugged, if set at 10Mbps Full, stays on "Identifying..." for a while and stops at "Unidentified network" with no internet access (I'm connected with Wireless to the modem and can't connect to the router...)

Edited by Aesis, 25 June 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

The Sony support site lists a 2011 driver for the Realtek chipset. Go here and download the driver dated 2016 for the 8168E chipset. If you can uninstall the current driver in Control Panel do so before installing this one.

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1841874)
7.099 2016/5/24 10395k

#7 Aesis

Aesis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

Weird stuff is happening.

Tried another computer with the same cable, didn't work, took another cable tried it on my computer, didn't work. Then I decided to try the modem. (The cable in my room is connected to the router) it connected with the modem through cable for some reason. But I don't have internet now for some reason (Unless you see this, it was restored)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

So you currently cannot even connect via Wireless or Ethernet? From your post, you can connect when connected to the modem but not the router? Have you tried restarting the router? 

When connected to the modem open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all.  This will list your DNS servers. When connected to the router type the same command and see if you get the same DNS servers.

#9 Aesis

Aesis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

So you currently cannot even connect via Wireless or Ethernet? From your post, you can connect when connected to the modem but not the router? Have you tried restarting the router? 

When connected to the modem open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all.  This will list your DNS servers. When connected to the router type the same command and see if you get the same DNS servers.

I can connect with WIFI to the router, I had trouble connecting though. Installing the driver you linked me to had no result, I still had the same problem

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

Try the following on the Sony. Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the Search Box. Right Click Run as Administrator

Type:

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot. 

I would also restart your modem and router if you have not done so.

If the above does not give an improvement try changing your DNS servers to open DNS.

Flush your DNS cache as linked to on the page

I would PM a moderator and have the thread moved to the Networking Forum if using OpenDNS servers does not help. 

#11 Aesis

Aesis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

Try the following on the Sony. Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the Search Box. Right Click Run as Administrator

Type:

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot. 

I would also restart your modem and router if you have not done so.

If the above does not give an improvement try changing your DNS servers to open DNS.

Flush your DNS cache as linked to on the page

I would PM a moderator and have the thread moved to the Networking Forum if using OpenDNS servers does not help. 

Will do that as soon as I get home from work. I'll post the result on this

EDIT: I did this in the exact steps, I turned off modem and router, did the commands cleared DNS cache and then rebooted. Didn't have any effect. I'm definitely not an expert, but could it be that the router is causing troubles? I thought that considering I can cable-connect with the modem but not with the router which was tested with 2 different computers. I dunno, I really feel like there's no way to fix this, my dad is an IT and he wasn't able to figure it out either

Edited by Aesis, 25 June 2016 - 10:31 PM.

#12 Aesis

Aesis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:20 PM

Problem is solved. The driver from Realtek that JohnC proposed didn't work until I changed one end on the cable (I can't really explain it, there was no connectivity on one end)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users