Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Torn Between Two Laptops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:47 PM

I've been wanting a 17" laptop for a while and have been watching prices at Sam's Club. I prefer buying at Sam's Club because I can use it for 90 days and get a refund if I don't like it. I also realize that model numbers don't tell the whole story because they are generally assigned separately for Sam's Club and the like and the same laptops might have different models elsewhere.

My use of a laptop will be relatively light duty. I plan on loading all my automotive reference material on to the laptop and then using it in my workshop as well as getting on the internet while in the workshop, both of which I can already do with my cheap, old laptop but it's a bit slow and I'd like a bigger screen.

Two laptops recently had a price drop from $499 to $449. One is a Dell and one is an HP. There are some reviews on the Dell but none on the HP.

There appear to be minor differences between the two but they appear comparable just the same.

I have a Dell desktop and an HP desktop. Both work fine so I don't have any axe to grind with either company.

Please provide an evaluation of the pros and cons of each.

Here they are:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/17-3-hp-notebook/prod20183257.ip

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/dell-17-3-notebook-intel-core-i3/prod19440204.ip

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Yeah Dell and HP are pretty much on par with each other quality wise. 

The HP would be my choice. Both are extremely similar- same ports, screen resolution, size, price, ETC

The only notable difference, and what makes the HP more valuable, though is that it's running a much newer CPU in it. A CPU that will be faster, run much much cooler, and use less power.

Edited by SEANIA, 26 June 2016 - 01:22 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

I noticed that about the CPU but wasn't sure that it made any difference. Thanks for that.

The HP is listed as weighing less than the Dell, so that's a plus.

I'm not a fan of Windows 10, avoided it on my desktops based on reading complaints, but the alternative is to buy somebody's used laptop with Windows 7. I've already been through a couple of used ones (15") that were cheap but had things wrong with them that, unfortunately, you find out after you've had them for a while.

I suppose I'll get used to Windows 10 after a while. :-)

I'll take another look at these two at Sam's Club.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

I suppose I'll get used to Windows 10 after a while. :-)

Well either that pay someone at a tech shop to reinstall it with Windows 7 or do it your self. Both of which are still pricey as Windows 7 keys are around 100$ to start.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Barnerd

Barnerd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

I have machines similar to each (my Dell has an AMD with a 500 G drive...a "get me" by after my old laptop passed away (RIP, Carl)). I think, considering your needs, that the HP would be the best choice. They're both kinda flimsy for a shop, but I assume they will be kept out of the range of 'frustration to to the point of flying tools'. Windows 10 isn't so bad (after a year) so that's not likely to be too much of a problem (after a year). Win 10 is just going to get fatter, so I have to take Seania's side regarding the processor, plus you can snap another 8 GB DIMM in if needed. More importantly, the Dell has a black on black keyboard that can be a little difficult if lighting is poor, while the HP is black on silver. The displays are pretty much equal. Th HP has a recessed touchpad, so palming it is less of a problem.

I don't work for either company. That being said. I'd go with the HP.

-Barnerd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users