Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Acer Laptop Battery discharge after shutdown

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shawnleecooper

shawnleecooper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:15 AM

Hi,

I just bought an acer laptop a few weeks ago. I am experiencing strange discharge of about 6-8% of power loss every 3 or 4 days even though the laptop was 100% charged on my last usage. I have always kept it plugged in during my usage of the laptop and ensured proper shut down (all led lights off) before switching off the A/C adaptor.

Every 3-4 days, when ever I powered on the laptop (with A/C power), it would indicate that the laptop is charging from about 94%.

The laptop is running on windows 10, I have experienced this issue with both the fast boot option switched off and on.

The battery is built-in, so I have no option of removing the battery if I am using A/C power.

Is it normal for a new laptop to be losing its charge every 3-4 days?

Please share whether do you experience battery drain in powered off mode on a laptop?

Thank you

Edited by shawnleecooper, 25 June 2016 - 12:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

Newer Acer's include a utility to allow your phone to be charged even when the laptop is off and that software has to leave the USB ports powered on in order to work. There are several different flavors of the software; but, here is one of them: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9668/~/what-is-the-acer-usb-charge-manager-software%3F
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 shawnleecooper

shawnleecooper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

Hi Davis,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have turned off the usb charge functionality.
However, the issue still persist.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

All laptops I have used lose about 1.5% of charge per day if unused - so I think you do not actually have a problem. In my case this drain has not been internal to the battery itself, as when removed the batteries have retained their charge.

Edited by rqt, 25 June 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#5 shawnleecooper

shawnleecooper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:15 AM

Hi rqt,
Thank you for the reply.

I see, but for my case, it does not reflect a down in battery charges the next day.

For my I observation, my discharge scenario occurs as follows

Day 1- after fully charged 100%
Day 2- using laptop on ac power, observe battery still 100% charged
Day 3- still using ac power, observed battery charged at 100%
Day 4- using ac power, observed laptop charging from 94%

Is this normal?

Thank you

Edited by shawnleecooper, 27 June 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

"Is this normal?"

I'm not familiar with your laptop so I don't know whether this is normal behaviour for it - but it would not surprise me if it is normal. Many laptops when on AC power will not attempt to charge a nearly full battery, & will wait until the battery charge has reduced to a point where it is worth charging again - although the ones I have seen still indicate the actual battery power - so will indicate something like a 98% charged battery but "on AC power - not charging".

So it would not surprise me - given that the neurotic will probably then ask "why is it not charging" - if Acer decided to show a 100% battery power until the battery was low enough to start recharging to avoid this question.

If you feel the need to test your battery then try running the laptop on battery power only until it starts complaining or shuts off & then recharge. Do this a couple of times - if everything seems to be working OK (including battery life & charge time) then I would think that there isn't a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users