Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about speakers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xpaydayx

xpaydayx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

Hey all so I recently got this new Motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Solution-Intel-Z170A-Motherboard/dp/B016I0X13I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466818711&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+z170a+pro

I currently have a nice headset that I use for gaming and I've been looking into getting a surround sound set of speakers so I can watch movies and listen to music and do other things while not having the headset on. My question to you all is how would I go about hooking up a set of 5.1 surround sound speakers to my computer? For example on these speakers: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-Z506/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1466818829&sr=1-2&keywords=5.1+speakers

I see the speakers have an optical plug but my motherboard does not. How would I go about hooking these up to my computer without using a receiver, if that even matters at all. I don't want to fork out another $100+ just for a receiver when all I need is some simple surround sound for my pc. I will not be using these speakers for anything other than my pc. For example would I need some type of extender that will convert a plug into a different type? If so, what kind of adapter would I need. Also if anyone can suggest some different speakers that are perhaps cheaper or even more expensive to fit my needs. I would say anywhere in the price range up to $150. I don't NEED these particular speakers but I feel they have decent reviews and would fit my needs, unless you guys tell me otherwise. Thanks in advance for your time everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

those speakers will do just fine you will just have to connect the coloured cables to the coloured ports of the motherboard on the rear output

the speakers will come with something like This and then you just plug the corresponding colour into the corresponding spot on the motherboard and speakerinput

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:51 PM

I cannot remember the accurate technical name of this device, however, at most, you might need "the box" that takes the stereo output from the laptop and properly "mixes it" and "enhances the dB" through-out the external speakers if your hookup doesn't quite deliver what you've expected.

However, reReading the thread gives me the idea that you probably will have no need for such a device.    :)

Edited by RolandJS, 25 June 2016 - 07:08 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 xpaydayx

xpaydayx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll be back with some follow up questions if I have any.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:32 AM

Hey all so I recently got this new Motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Solution-Intel-Z170A-Motherboard/dp/B016I0X13I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466818711&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+z170a+pro
I currently have a nice headset that I use for gaming and I've been looking into getting a surround sound set of speakers so I can watch movies and listen to music and do other things while not having the headset on. My question to you all is how would I go about hooking up a set of 5.1 surround sound speakers to my computer? For example on these speakers: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-Z506/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1466818829&sr=1-2&keywords=5.1+speakers
I see the speakers have an optical plug but my motherboard does not. How would I go about hooking these up to my computer without using a receiver, if that even matters at all. I don't want to fork out another $100+ just for a receiver when all I need is some simple surround sound for my pc. I will not be using these speakers for anything other than my pc. For example would I need some type of extender that will convert a plug into a different type? If so, what kind of adapter would I need. Also if anyone can suggest some different speakers that are perhaps cheaper or even more expensive to fit my needs. I would say anywhere in the price range up to $150. I don't NEED these particular speakers but I feel they have decent reviews and would fit my needs, unless you guys tell me otherwise. Thanks in advance for your time everyone.

FWIW, the speakers you linked to do not appear to have an optical port/plug. If you are referring to the orange port/plug thinking it might be a coax digital plug, then that is part of the three mini-head phone type plugs that TheTripleDeuce was referring to. The speakers will/should ship with a cable similar what TheTripleDeuce linked to...i.e. a cable with orange, black, and green mini-headphone connectors that connect to the corresponding color ports/plugs on both the sub-woofer unit of the speakers and the mobo. This cable and ports/plugs will handle the 5.1 sound.

Every Logitech 5.1 speaker system I have bought has such a connector cable supplied with the speakers. Some might have additional connection options. I have both a system very similar to the one you are looking at that I strictly use with a computer using this type of connection, but I also have the Z-5500 system (you can see it under the one Compare section on the Amazon page) that I use with my audio/video system in my family room to supply sound for use with a projector. The Z-5500 system also has both a optical and coax digital connector, both of which I use to hook up things like an Apple TV, blu-ray player, or cable box.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

The speakers will just connect to the matching colored ports on the motherboard.  Where you'll have an issue is using the headphones.  Unless your case has a front panel headphone and speaker jack.  The speakers I use at home, don't remember the brand or model, have a volume control with microphone and headset jacks built in.  I also use the Logitech G510 keyboard and it has a headphone and microphone jack built in that uses the keyboard's USB sound card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users