Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade iMac to newer OS?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

I have a 24" iMac from the 2010 era roughly. Running OS 10.6.8 with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB memory 1067 MHz DDR3. This is a basic machine that I'm using for email and to surf the net, if that phrase is still in use. I want to install Malwarebytes but it requires OS 10.8. Can I install a newer OS and if so which would you recommend for this machine? The friendly kids at my Apple store insist I buy a new machine because upselling is everywhere these days. You can't even get a plain vanilla ice cream cone at the local Dairy Queen without them wanting you to add a teaspoon of crushed peanuts for an extra half buck. So what should I do about the OS and malwarebytes? Thanks.

Edited by Twin B, 24 June 2016 - 07:12 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

There was never a 24 inch iMac produced in 2010. It looks like you have a 2009 model.

The following is from everymac.com:

*This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" and OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" except for Power Nap and AirPlay Mirroring functionality (which also requires an Apple TV 2nd Gen or later). It also supports the last viersion of OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" and OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" -- including Mac-to-Mac AirDrop capability -- but no other advanced features are supported, including Metal graphics acceleration. It is not capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) or subsequent versions of the macOS at all.

Edited by Buddyme2, 24 June 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

Here is some old info that you will find useful. But seriously, if the only reason you are upgrading is so you can install MBAM....isn't a good reason...in my opinion.

Get your Mac ready for Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) | Macworld

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:07 PM

You're right Bud, my iMac is an '09 model. Yes MBAM is the only reason I thought about upgrading; I was reading some articles about the new crap floating around the internet and thought maybe I'm pressing my luck not having that program but I also worried about the new install and how it might screw up the (working perfectly now) system I have. I think I'll just forget about it for now and get all those protections whenever I get the bucks to buy a new system. Thanks. Joe.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:05 PM

The other potential reason to upgrade is that Apple no longer "supports" Snow Leopard (aka Mac OS X 10.6.8). This means they no longer patch bugs or provide security updates. Since you use this machine for email and browsing, there is a chance (albeit small at this time, but potentially getting bigger) the lack of security updates might be an issue.

Personally, I would likely update to at least 10.8.x. It should have no problem running on that iMac (I have a MacBook Pro of around that time frame that is/was running at least Mac OS X 10.8.x with no issues...it is currently not working...not related to the Mac OS...just won't boot...suspect it might be a battery issue...if I get it working again, I will likely upgrade the OS).

FWIW, if you are not really sure, then you can first clone your current setup (using either Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner) to an external drive and then upgrade. If you decide you don't like the upgrade or have problems, then you can use the clone to revert to your current setup (i.e. boot up the Mac using the external drive and then clone it back to the internal drive). Personally, I do this by default for EVERY major upgrade of the Mac OS (and also for my Windows machine) and generally before even minor routine Mac OS updates...and before updating/upgrading programs or install new programs. It gives me a good fall back position is there is a problem. Plus it is a bootable back up of my system that will be current at least as of the last time I ran the clone...speaking of which, I need to update my clone of this computer and do some updates (I generally wait to let other people be the Apple (or Microsoft for my Windows installs) "test dummies" for updates/upgrades). If you do this, if/when you decide that the new version is fine, then you can update the clone so that it would become a backup option like what I do.

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

Like smax013 said, using Snow Leopard is a security risk. I upgraded my Macbook Early 2009 to Mavericks, and well...It did made opening apps slower. Yosemite and El Capitan because of their translucency/blur effects will probably make things worse, so if you upgrade, you would want to turn those off in Accessibility.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

Increasingly newer versions of 3rd party applications have dropped support for Snow Leopard now too.  E.g. Google Chrome in it's latest version only works on 10.9 onwards.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions everyone, I appreciate them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users