Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to retrieve e-mail from Outlook or set up account in Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PrimeMinisterX

PrimeMinisterX

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

I have a client I'm trying to help with an e-mail issue. I was handling this remotely and can't give you much info about the system beyond the fact that he is running Windows 7. 

He has Outlook 2007 on the system and was previously popping his Gmail into Outlook and everything was working fine. Then he bought a tablet and set his e-mail up on the tablet and says that the next time he tried to get to his e-mail on his computer it didn't work. 

I first tried to set up a new account in Outlook using IMAP. I followed Gmails guidelines and triple checked the settings so I know they are correct. It still wouldn't work and just rendered a generic error saying the servers couldn't be contacted. 

The client then agreed to try Thunderbird. I attempted to set up the account in Thunderbird but it said the password was not valid. I then re-checked his e-mail address and had him enter his password again. Still didn't work. 

Out of curiosity I then entered the information one of my own Gmail accounts and again it said the password was incorrect. I then entered the information for one of my Yahoo accounts, and again it said the information was incorrect. 

At this point, I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

G'day PrimeMinisterX, and Welcome to BC

I assume you are trying to set up these a/c's with imap type settings......

Try using pop3 settings for Incoming.....and leave the outgoing settings as they are

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Also...seeing this tablet is new....what AV has been installed and is there a firewall other than windows..?

If so, check the ability of the email program to get through the firewall without being blocked.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 PrimeMinisterX

PrimeMinisterX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:21 PM

G'day PrimeMinisterX, and Welcome to BC

I assume you are trying to set up these a/c's with imap type settings......

Try using pop3 settings for Incoming.....and leave the outgoing settings as they are

Also...seeing this tablet is new....what AV has been installed and is there a firewall other than windows..?

If so, check the ability of the email program to get through the firewall without being blocked.

Thanks for the response. 

He was set up for POP originally and all the settings were correct. I tried to set up the new account with both POP and IMAP but to no avail. 

Also to be clear, the tablet is working, it's his desktop computer running Outlook 2007 that stopped working after he set up his e-mail on the tablet. His desktop is running AVG for his antivirus. I disabled both AVG and the Windows firewall but it didn't make a difference. 

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:05 AM

So the setting for PoP mail server would be : mail.freddiesISP.com

and the Outgoing Server in smtp would be     smtp.freddiesISP.com

(freeddies ISP = his internet service providers name)

and if the tablet is working and the desktop is not...is there a possibility that his ISP is blocking that ? (perhaps observing a second attempted log in from a different ip address...?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:44 AM

Why are you giving the email servers for his ISP when OP is trying to use gmail?  Gmail settings are below. Also make sure the account is either enabled for IMAP.  If that doesn't work, what error are you getting exactly?

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server: imap.gmail.com
Requires SSL: Yes
Port: 993 Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:

smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for SSL:: 465 or 587
Use same settings as incoming mail server

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

I have a client I'm trying to help with an e-mail issue. I was handling this remotely and can't give you much info about the system beyond the fact that he is running Windows 7. 

He has Outlook 2007 on the system and was previously popping his Gmail into Outlook and everything was working fine. Then he bought a tablet and set his e-mail up on the tablet and says that the next time he tried to get to his e-mail on his computer it didn't work. 

I first tried to set up a new account in Outlook using IMAP. I followed Gmails guidelines and triple checked the settings so I know they are correct. It still wouldn't work and just rendered a generic error saying the servers couldn't be contacted. 

The client then agreed to try Thunderbird. I attempted to set up the account in Thunderbird but it said the password was not valid. I then re-checked his e-mail address and had him enter his password again. Still didn't work. 

Out of curiosity I then entered the information one of my own Gmail accounts and again it said the password was incorrect. I then entered the information for one of my Yahoo accounts, and again it said the information was incorrect. 

At this point, I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:08 AM

Ok, thunderbird is a email client. Not a email provider. What does thunderbird have anything to do with ISP? OP is trying to use gmail with thunderbird. When changing from POP to IMAP, the entire account needs to be recreated in outlook. Can't just change the pop/smtp settings. 

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

To use IMAP with Gmail, you'll need to log into the user's Gmail account in a browser, go to the settings, and change the setting to IMAP. Gmail uses POP out of the box.

http://www.howtogeek.com/174837/how-to-add-your-gmail-account-to-outlook-2013-using-imap/

#10 PrimeMinisterX

PrimeMinisterX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Okay, this issue appears to have resolved itself. 

Today I went back to work on the machine and I was able to add the account both in Thunderbird and Outlook without issues. The client said that yesterday his Internet was running slower than usual. I'm not sure why that would prevent Outlook or Thunderbird from contacting the mail servers, or what exactly caused the slowdown, but that seems to have been the culprit. 

I think this one will forever remain a mystery.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

So the account added in thunderbird with pop settings ??

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 PrimeMinisterX

PrimeMinisterX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

So the account added in thunderbird with pop settings ??

No, IMAP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users