Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Since Windows 10 upgrade, mouse lag/freeze and black screen

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 anyroad

anyroad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

Hello. Looking for some help. Heads up that I'm not the most tech-savvy, so bear with me when it comes to explaining issues.

----

Since my laptop upgraded to Windows 10 (from Windows 7 Home Pro) I've been having issues with mouse lag/jerky unusable movement and freezing every few days, and seemingly at random.

The day it upgraded automatically - the 8th or 9th of June, I'd have to check - was the first time my mouse lagged. I couldn't do anything and then got a black screen. I turned the computer off and then on again, and all was well for a few days. Then on the 13th it happened again. And again, I just turned it off and turned it back on, but started to look into the issue.

It happened a third time just the other day. Although this time there was no black screen, I was just stuck on my desktop with a few open programs that I couldn't do anything about because I couldn't use the cursor properly.

The problems don't seem tied to my use of any specific program that I've noticed. I could be on the internet, or using MS word, or whatever.

From google searches of my issues, I've tried updating drivers, but they all appear to be up to date.

I also saw posts about going into system performance and changing the "paging file size" from automatic to the recommended number for my computer.

I did just do that the other day, but since the issues seem to happen at random and with days in between, I assume I'll have to wait a while to know if that's worked.

In the meantime, I just wanted to actually talk to some tech smart people for help.

And ask if I'm on the right track with trying to solve this.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by anyroad, 24 June 2016 - 04:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

How have you checked to make sure device drivers are all latest versions.
Check to see if issue happens in Safe Mode if issue will not happens in Safe Mode then start Windows into Clean Boot state to test if  startup programs and third party services causing the issue.

Have you tried different mouse?

Edited by FreeBooter, 24 June 2016 - 08:04 PM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

This tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:

1)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

2)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

3)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

4)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- System Restore to a point before the problems started happening.
- Repair install of W10:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 anyroad

anyroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

Thank you both for replying.

I went into the device manager and right-clicked to automatically search for the latest driver updates.

I did that at least for the Display and the Mouse. Both said they were up to date.

If there's a better/more thorough way of updating the drivers, or something else I should be doing please let me know.

To answer your question about trying another mouse, neither my laptop track pad nor my wireless mouse work in those freezing situations.

So far as Safe Mode, etc. goes, since the issues seem to happen days apart, would I have to wait around with the computer in safe mode for days, to see if the issues occur?

----

I guess I can start trying some of the things usasma has listed. I am a bit fidgety over how long it'll be before I know something has solved the problem, though. Like I said, it seems to be days in between the problems. Also, the whole "you can't revert to Windows 7" after 30 days has been worrying me a bit too - is it really not possible, or should I stop worrying there?

And again, I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to updates/reinstalling programs. How will I know that I've gotten "ALL" the updates? And I'm assuming you mean everything. Browsers. Etc. Etc. Should I run through my programs list, because I was looking at that before and thought I noticed it listed some as "unavailable"(I think that was the term at least - sorry!) - would that mean they aren't compatible with W10?

EDIT: Update. I have just now uninstalled and reinstalled my antivirus as per usasma's instructions. Nothing more to report yet.

Edited by anyroad, 26 June 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Searching for drivers in Device Manager will only check Windows/Microsoft Update for drivers.

Most often there aren't any significant updates located there.

You need W10 drivers.

The first place to check is the manufacturer of your system.

If the manufacturer doesn't provide W10 drivers, then you have to look at the manufacturer of the device that you're trying to update.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 anyroad

anyroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

Oh, thanks.
Just went to the Dell website and searched my service tag.
It says
"Studio 1558 supports these operating systems:
BIOS
Windows 7, 64 bit"

Nothing about W10.

Does this mean I'll be better off just reverting to W7?
It is a rather old machine, so...

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

Windows 10 compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 device drivers.

- Dalai Lama

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

Compatibility isn't usually easy to figure out.  The "shims" that W10 uses for older drivers aren't 100% perfect - there are problems with some.

In short, the older a system is, the more likely it is that it won't work with a newer OS.

BUT, Microsoft has done a lot of work with W7 and later systems to make them compatible w/W10

BUT, the problem lies in finding the proper drivers to support the W10 installation.

A clean install of W10 will give you the most W10 drivers - but that will wipe out everything on your system.

So, if you don't want to go that route, then you'll have to start looking for W10 drivers on the web (this is not going to be a very rewarding experience)

With a clean install of W10, you'll wipe your hard drive clean and the Windows 10 installer will install all the W10 drivers that it has for your system.

Then you'll check Device Manager for any devices that have problem codes (not many, if any, in a W10 install).

Then you go find W10 drivers for them.  If you can't find W10 drivers, then you might want to try W8 or W7 drivers

Try this stuff for repair/recovery:

here's some recovery/restore options (try them in this order):

- System Restore to a point before this started happening.

- DISM/SFC repair

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

- RESET using the "Keep My Files" option

- Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

- RESET using the "Remove Everything" option

- Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

- Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

#9 anyroad

anyroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Whew, I'm not going to lie, but this is starting to look even more daunting.

Also, I have yet to notice the issue again, but I haven't been using my laptop as much either. So the jury is still out on whether my mouse will drop out/go haywire on me again. What I am noticing just now as I'm running a complete scan is that my antivirus is running a lot quicker than it was before the reinstall.

I am honestly not sure what the best course of action is for me right now. Whatever is the least hassle is what I'd prefer. Which is why I was and still am seriously considering just reverting back to my old Windows 7 if problems keep up.

My issues started the day of my upgrade, like I said, so would doing a system restore help? (Just trying to understand what's what.)

I mean, did create a restore point just after turning my laptop on with W10, so I do have a point that is technically before the issue happened, if only a bit before.

And looking down your suggestions to the "running DISM" is all a bit gibberish to me. So if that's a course I should take, I'm going to need more explanation of how to go about doing that.

Awaiting more advice.

Thanks again.

Edited by anyroad, 28 June 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#10 anyroad

anyroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Don't know if this is gonna be a new problem to add to the list, but I thought I'd mention it.

I checked for Windows updates and it's giving me an error about installing an update, despite retrying it.

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.223.2880.0) - Error 0x80070643

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

Work through the suggestions line-by-line.  As questions occur, post them here and we'll work through them.

System Restore would likely not help here, but I include that option for the sake of completeness (it's a canned speech that I use)

As for DISM, the same thing goes there - it's just step-by-step.  You just open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and run each of the commands - pressing Enter after each one.

Each one takes longer than the one before it - and they seem to freeze at 20 or 40%, but just let them run as they'll finish on their own.

What antivirus are you using?  If it's Windows Defender, the failure to update is critical (but I see it fairly frequently at work - retrying it multiple times sometimes helps)

Now it's time for a little story about compatibility:

I used to have a Lenovo x61t laptop.  It was a system that originally came with XP, but Lenovo put Vista on it and it was a great system that way!

When W7 came out, I upgraded to that.
When W8 came out, I upgraded to that also.  And then the troubles began.

Nothing real bad, just some programs wouldn't work as expected and I had random errors that were frequent enough to disrupt my work.

So I brought it with me when I traveled to Microsoft for the MVP Summit one year (2012/2013).

I got expert MVP's to help me and I got Microsoft employees to help me.  And none of us could fix it.

I finally gave up and reinstalled W7 - and it's worked fine ever since then (I gave it to a friend for their kids to use).

The conclusion is that the system was just to old for W8.  Although there were no specific warnings about it being incompatible, it's obvious (in retrospect) that it was incompatible.

The only sign I can recall at this point was that the BIOS dated from 2008 and there were no updates available (which might indicate that Lenovo may have decided to give up support of this model)

So, the moral of the story is:  Keep trying stuff until you get fed up, then see what happens when you reinstall W7.

Edited by usasma, 29 June 2016 - 06:12 AM.

#12 anyroad

anyroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

DISM-wise, I was just confused because I didn't know what you meant by running a command prompt (computer illiteracy kicking in!) but I've just now looked up how to get to the command prompt (and it is in that article you included too, right. So silly me). I guess I can carry on trying that.

And no, I've got McAfee antivirus. So is this error not so important? I have retried it multiple times, but it won't take.

So what I'm getting here, is, maybe it will ultimately be best if I do just go back to W7?

Is it possible that the reinstalling of my McAfee will have helped anything in the meantime and it's actually all okay now? Because I still don't know. Those mouse troubles have not happened again. Yet, anyway. That's something that's been bothering me - How will I know what's fixed it if I have to wait so long to see the problem happen again, AND I'm trying multiple fixes?

But shall I just carry on down the line anyway? DISM commands?

Edited by anyroad, 29 June 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

Uninstall all third party antivirus program and firewall and perform a repair install of Windows 10, Usasma has advice you to try this method.

"How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade"

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

- Dalai Lama

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

It's an error, so I wouldn't just ignore it.  But as you have another antivirus, it doesn't make it as serious.

Try DISM, it won't hurt anything.

As for having to wait a long time - that's where the "Keep trying stuff until you get fed up" comes in.

The way you know it's fixed is if iit doesn't happen again.  What if it doesn't happen for a month, and then pops up?

In most cases I use the 1 week/2 week rule:

- if it hasn't come back within a week, then it's probably been fixed

- if it hasn't come back within 2 weeks, then it's most likely fixed.

But notice the qualifiers that I used - "probably" and "most likely" - that way I won't be wrong if it pops up after a month :0)

#15 anyroad

anyroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

Okay, so I have yet to to the whole DISM thing, though I was intending to, but...

I just got a warning message, yellow triangle with an exclamation point popping up in the taskbar and it read:

Your computer is low on memory. To restore enough memory for programs to work correctly, save your files and then close or restart all open programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users