Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Explorer wont open and cannot right click on desktop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KayzeMKW

KayzeMKW

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

This all started yesterday, everything was fine as normal then suddenly I tabbed out of a game and most of my .exe files on my desktop had literally disappeared, I thought nothing of it at the time and got back to what I was doing, it was only until today I ran into more issues, if I right click on the desktop, it all refreshes and carries on as normal but still wont let me right click, I tried adding spotify back to the desktop, it dissapeared refreshed and I had to re-install it again, then I try clicking onto my file explorer, it refreshes and closes some windows which I had previously opened, everything else as far as it seems is okay, steam, chrome etc. please help me asap as I have massive urges to throw my whole pc out the freaking window

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KayzeMKW

KayzeMKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated 

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

The issue could be buggy graphic card driver uninstall it to see issue resolves.

Also when you say executable files disappeared i want to be sure those files are not shortcuts to executable files and have you check  and make sure the antivirus have not Quarantine those files.

Posted Image

#4 KayzeMKW

KayzeMKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

The issue could be buggy graphic card driver uninstall it to see issue resolves.

Also when you say executable files disappeared i want to be sure those files are not shortcuts to executable files and have you check  and make sure the antivirus have not Quarantine those files.

Hello, I dont think it would've been the Graphic card driver as it has been fine over the past few months/problem is still going even after updating to the newest driver. and yeah they are all shortcuts but the only AV I currently have is Windows Defender, but surely that all wouldn't make me unable to open file explorer..?  

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

Boot Windows into Safe Mode and test the issue persist within Safe mode if it does not then perform a Clean Boot to eliminate startup programs and services.

Edited by FreeBooter, 26 June 2016 - 02:19 PM.

Posted Image

#6 KayzeMKW

KayzeMKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

Boot Windows into Safe Mode and test the issue persist within Safe mode if it does not then perform a Clean Boot to eliminate startup programs and services.

A clean boot would be the last resort, I have 3mb/s download speed and downloading everything again would take days

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

A clean boot would be the last resort, I have 3mb/s download speed and downloading everything again would take days

You are downloading nothing please follow the instructions at Microsoft website to learn how to Perform Clean Boot.

Posted Image

#8 KayzeMKW

KayzeMKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

You are downloading nothing please follow the instructions at Microsoft website to learn how to Perform Clean Boot.

ohh I get you now, my bad, ill try it all tomorrow and i'll be sure to let you know what happens 

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

No problem i don't know you have click the first Clean Boot link i provided if you did i have notice after your post i have giving you wrong link to follow clean boot instructions i correct the link.

Edited by FreeBooter, 26 June 2016 - 06:26 PM.

Posted Image

#10 KayzeMKW

KayzeMKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:53 AM

No problem i don't know you have click the first Clean Boot link i provided if you did i have notice after your post i have giving you wrong link to follow clean boot instructions i correct the link.

I just tried it and everything is still the same, no change whatsoever? 

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

ShellExView can be used for solving context-menu problems in Explorer environment. For more information, read the following article: Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Posted Image

#12 KayzeMKW

KayzeMKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

ShellExView can be used for solving context-menu problems in Explorer environment. For more information, read the following article: Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Yes, that worked, I am now able to open file explorer, I have another issue now but I am not sure if it is because of the same reason, I am unable to restore my pc to an earlier date, it says that my AV is blocking it and gives me an error code of 0x80070005  I know that it is not the AV as I am only using Windows Defender at this time, thanks. 

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:50 AM

Nice to know one of your issue resolved about not able restore Windows follow the instructions at below url link.

"

System Restore did not complete successfully – Fix for Windows"

https://neosmart.net/wiki/system-restore-did-not-complete-successfully/

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users