Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are there universal DNS settings for modems for laptops?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 muzzles

muzzles

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

I have some settings that work with some works and some that won't . Is there a best DNS setting or combinations to use?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

What DNS settings are you talking about? If you are talking about nameservers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 should work universally.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

What do you want DNS to do? Do you mean DDNS setting on a router/gateway? If so, what model? Do you mean which DNS servers are "fastest"? If so, check out namebench. If you mean DNS isn't working at all, can you describe the problem more? Does it not obtain a DNS through DHCP? Can you ping it? Can you ping IP's outside your network like 8.8.8.8?

#4 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

The DNS for the laptop wifi will connect with internet ability with some hotels and airports and connect without internet ability with others. Last week I talked to a "guru" when at a hotel that showed I was connected but without internet ability and he recommended chnging the DNS and after changing the DNS I connected and had internet ability. It's the DNS for the TCP/IPv4 properties. and have ping myself.

When connected with a hotel where I have internet ability, I can ping 8.8.8.8

Thank you. I am very ignorant about this

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:04 PM

This will have to be done on each internet adapter (wifi card, ethernet port, or cellular card) that you use to connect on your PC.

open a windows explorer (not internet explorer) window by holding the windows key and pressing "e". In the navigation bar, type "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items" (without the quotes) and press enter. Select "network and sharing" or something along those lines from the options on the screen.

you then should see the name of the network you are connected to highlighted in blue, like a hyperlink. click on in, and click the properties button that appears on the pop-up window. You may need to enter your administrator password to proceed.

yet another window should appear with a long list of items in it. Select the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" item, then click "properties". Another window will open with two tabs. Click the "Advanced" button on the first tab, which will open a new window. Select the "DNS" tab.

Click the button labeled "add" under the box headed "DNS server addresses, in order of use" and enter "8.8.8.8" into the box (without the quotes). If you want to be on the safe side, click the button again and enter "8.8.4.4" as well.

If you need me to explain further let me know, just too tired to do so at the moment.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:45 PM

Oh so this is for the hotel issue from this thread?

I don't think you need to find the "right" DNS, but you need to NOT use static DNS at all. Some hotel splash screens won't trigger unless you initially use the DNS their routers give out. Changing your DNS may have worked before because you basically went around the hotel's broken system. Try setting your DNS to DHCP and see if still a issue overall? 

Edited by Trikein, 26 June 2016 - 11:47 PM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:58 AM

The DNS servers provided by ScathEnfys are Google's and should work in most situations.  Normally your DNS values are handled by the DHCP server or router.  A router will normally specify itself as the DNS server, this can normally be changed in the router settings.  If you are connected directly to your ISP their DHCP server will normally specify their DNS servers and you would have to manually specify DNS settings on each device to change them.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

IMO this thread isn't about DNS for internet activity, it's about registerting on a public wifi network. Using static DNS, ANY static DNS, will break the redirect hotels use to show users the splash screen to put in their name and room number(or other). Here is a blog describing it with a Mac but similar theory behind a PC. 

#9 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Thank you and the blog explained it perfectly. I've just changed to obtain the DNS automatically and it connected quickly. Would you recommend keeping it on DHCP?

Thanks

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

Yes. Keep it on DHCP. Unless you have a reason to use another DNS, don't. Also, if you plan on staying in one hotel for a long time, call the hotel's operator and ask if there is a hospitality department that manages the wifi. If so, they can whitelist your laptop so it doesn't have to use that splash screen to register every 24 hours. This is important if you use a VPN because you don't want the connection to give out at midnight when your in the middle of a important upload. 

#11 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

Thanks, should I disable the IPv6? Should I enable the Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol?

Thank you

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

I wouldn't touch anything else unless you have a problem. A few networks may have problems with IPv6, but your computer should fall back to IPv4 anyway and not lose connection.  Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol creates a virtual IP which is used for some business programs. Disabling probably won't hurt anything, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

#13 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

Thanks. I was talking to a "guru" last week and I think he had me uncheck the Microsoft Network Adapter Multipleor Protocol.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users