Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Problem Laptop 8.1

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Firerock

Firerock

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:31 PM

I have a laptop Asus X551M that i got with no HDD. I bought a Hdd that is supposed to have Windows 7 or 10 on it out of a laptop that had a busted screen and a bad or dead motherboard. Can't seem to get it to boot to windows. Tried everything i know, when i can get it to go to the Asus screen it comes up and reads no operating system found disconnect anything that has an harddrive attached, i don't understand. i have not installed any passwords on this laptop. The laptop came with windows 8 or 8.1. Need help on what i should?

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

First of all, do you know that this HD is in working order ?  If you don't know for certain, the first thing to do is to slave it to another computer, perhaps using a USB 'caddy' and see if it can be read from and even written to. If it can, then it is probably good, if it can't be recognised. read from and written to then it is dead.

The 'No OS found' message suggests either that it is dead or does not in fact have an OS on it. In any case, you cannot take a hard drive from one laptop and expect it to run properly in another, although, if there is an OS there I would expect it to at least start to boot.

You will still have other problems. First of all, virtually all laptops have OEM operating systems. These are tied to the motherboard of the computer they are installed on so you will need another copy of whatever OS you want to run on the ASUS. And secondly, you will need to get all the drivers for this laptop. You will need the chipset, video, audio, wifi at a minimum -  there may be others needed -  but the good news is that you should be able to download all of these from the ASUS web-site. You will need to borrow a computer to download these, save them to a memory stick and install them to the ASUS from that, and install them in the order I listed them.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

If this computer came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled and SecureBoot is enabled then you will not be able to boot a HDD with Windows 7 as this OS does not support SecureBoot. Even if you disable SecureBoot you would not be able to activate Windows 7 if the OS was OEM or Windows 10 for that matter as the OS is tied to the Hardware ID of the computer is was removed from. If Windows 7 was installed on a computer with different hardware than what you are using your chances of it even booting would be small. 

You can download Windows 8.1 here. Any OEM computer with Windows 8 preinstalled will have it's key in firmware and will automatically be activated once on the internet. If your hard drive is okay this would be the best option for you.

#4 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

Thank you for the quick reply i think i am going to bag this HDD and put 8.1 back on it with another HDD. The link provided by JohnC_221 to the 8.1 iso states : f you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page. My laptop doesn't  have a USB boot option. There are two options there one for the DVD and the other indicating the name of the Samsung Hdd ?

Regards

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

With a USB flash drive attached tap Esc or F8. That may bring up the boot menu for the Asus. Don't worry about the product key. Simply press next. If you do need the key you can pull the key with a linux distro or use the generic Windows 8 keys. Once online it will detect the key in firmware and activate.

Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT 
Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB 

See this Asus support page for booting from USB.

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008277

#6 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

On the windows download page under Selection dropdown there are  (Windows 8.1) (Window 8.1 K) (Window 8.1 KN ) (Window 8.1 N ) ( Window 8.1 single Language) witch one do i use?. I also thought i might wipe the HDD using ? Also while trying to download the program i get an network error on my Vista machine?

Regards

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

I can't remember if a Windows 7 or later computer was required to download the Windows 8 media creator. You want the Windows 8.1 single language download. I was able to start downloading without a network error.

Edit: You can wipe the drive using the Windows install media. When you boot the install disk or USB flash drive press Shift + F10 when you get to the Window that asks for your language. This will bring up a command prompt window. Type the following commands

diskpart     This will bring up the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the disk number you want to install Windows to. If you only have one HDD it will be Disk 0

clean                 This will delete your partition table making Windows think  you have a blank drive or you can do the following command instead

clean all             This will zero wipe the drive. If you have a large capacity drive it will take awhile. Wait until you see the diskpart command                                      prompt. This will indicate the wipe has finished

exit                    Exits out of diskpart

exit                    Exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#8 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

command prompt states there is no disk selected please select a disk and try again. Diskpart > did list the disk. i have tried everything to select where it reads disk 0? how do you go about selecting the disk 0?

Regards

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

Can you post an image of your diskpart list disk command or type what the output was?

You should at least see a Disk 0 if a hard drive is detected.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2016 - 07:09 PM.

#10 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

It did list the disk info , it read Disk 0 status online Size 298GB Free 0 B there were two other columns that where blank. This info was under the titlehead that read Disk ### statis free etc. Would not allow me to change anything unless i don't know how? I saw no x.

Regards

Edited by Firerock, 25 June 2016 - 07:50 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

Okay, I understand now. Sorry I did not make myself clear. 

When I said to type select disk X after listing disks I meant the command as being

select disk 0  

If you typed  the above command and diskpart did not say that disk 0 is now selected then I would recommend we forget diskpart and do this with the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file to disk and then boot.

At the Partition Wizard UI select Wipe Disk. User zero fill quick. All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and do not complete until you click apply. After wiping the disk continue with the Windows 8 install.

#12 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

Ok did that reads now, reads now Disk 0 is now the selected disk. Selected clean all hit enter and nothing happend, that i can see. curser is just bling under the Diskpart> clean all, underneath.

Regards

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

If you selected clean all then the cursor will blink until it is finished. This will take some time depending on the size of the disk. When you see the diskpart command prompt again you will know it has finished.

#14 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

Earlier when i found out that you don't have to hold down the Shift = F10 just press them down once or twice i bypassed the command prompt, and went past the page asking what language you wanted. i clicked next on that page earlier, it asked me for a product key without the key it will not let you proceed further.This was earlier.

Regards

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

Has diskpart finished the wipe? If so then use one of the generic keys I posted depending on your version. I have come across some installs that do not require entering any key, only needing to press the next button. 

Edit: This computer was preinstalled with Windows 8, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2016 - 08:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users