Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Windows, no UEFI, just a black screen and short ticking every 3 seconds

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TamasBolvari

TamasBolvari

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

What's wrong with my PC? The only problem I had previously is the noise of the internal HDD (it was like a scooter, it made fastly repeating clicking noise at variable speed). To solve this issue, I cloned the whole internal HDD to an external HDD using Macrium Reflect Free to use it instead of the loud internal HDD. This process took about 2 hours, but finished succesfully. Then, I got BSOD and was able to start Windows from the external HDD only in safe mode. I found out Windows 10 doesn't run from USB HDDs, due to anti-piracy reasons. From this point, I was unable to boot from either the internal or the external HDDs, even the Macrium Windows PE Rescue Environment was useless from pendrive to fix the boot problem. The only thing I saw is a black screen. No Windows, no UEFI, nothing. Just a black screen and a short clicking sound repeating every 3 seconds. I've read somewhere that the HDD might had overheated and the head has stuck, which makes this noise while trying to "escape". I listened closely, but the sound was coming from a little speaker on the motherboard, not the HDD. I removed the speaker, the sound stopped, attached it again, the sound restarted, so it's 100%. I received my new internal HDD, removed the loud one (and the external as well), but it did not help. Removing the motherboard battery was useless as well. And here comes the interesting part, because I have a half-solution: the PC starts perfectly every time I remove the RAM and put it into the other slot. It works in both the left and right slots, but it needs to be swapped everytime I want to start the PC, otherwise I get the black screen and the ticking. Why is this needed, what is the cause, how could this be fixed? PS: the motherboard manufacturer's FAQs* say that the continuous short beep (not tick) means that the power supply unit is failed.

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2016 - 01:20 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

If you are getting BIOS beeps, you have a hardware issue somewhere. Can you try disconnecting everything (including hard drives) except the keyboard and monitor from the PC and seeing if you can boot into UEFI that way?

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 TamasBolvari

TamasBolvari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. If I remove everything (including the RAM), I hear a beep that never ends. If I remove everything except the RAM (including the HDDs, DVD, USB etc.) the issue remains the same: black screen, short beeps every 3 seconds.

#4 TamasBolvari

TamasBolvari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

PS: I've just found 3 other cables to remove. I'll try these as well and reply in half an hour.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Don't remove RAM (sorry forgot to mention that). Don't remove any cables connected to the motherboard either.

#6 TamasBolvari

TamasBolvari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:53 PM

Okay, there is nothing to remove then. (No peripherals are connected.) Is it possible that the PSU is the cause? How come the RAM swap solves the issue temporarily then?

#7 TamasBolvari

TamasBolvari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

Update: if I try restarting from Windows, it works perfectly. The problem comes only if I turn off the PC and try to turn it on again.

Mod Edit:  Topic moved to Internal Hardware forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#8 TamasBolvari

TamasBolvari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Update: my Windows 10 Pro thinks it's a Windows To Go, but it isn't. I guess this is caused by the fact that I've cloned my previous internal (loud) HDD to an external HDD, but Windows couldn't boot from that because of anti-piracy USB restrictions, and then I've cloned that external HDD to my new internal (silent) HDD. So I think Windows has marked itself as "I won't launch since I'm not on an internal HDD", and it still doesn't know that it is already in my super safe PC on a SATA HDD... I can't believe it's such an inconvenience to move my Windows to a new HDD.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

removing the RAM causes an earlier failure that changes the beep code. I wouldn't call it a "fix".

I would try switching the PSU since that is the beep code you are getting. There might be further issues though...

If you truly wish to move windows to a different HDD and you wish to use the external HDD you already have, I would recommend removing the external drive from its enclosure. USB transfer speeds simply can't match those of SATA III.

#10 TamasBolvari

TamasBolvari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

What I call a fix is not the removal of the RAM. What I call a fix is when I remove the RAM from slot #1 and insert it into slot #2 while the PC is turned off. Why do I call this a temporary FIX? Because this way the PC can be started once. Why do I call it a TEMPORARY fix? Because the next time I try to turn on the PC, it can't until I move the RAM from #2 to #1 again. And so on: next time I have to move it from #1 to #2 again to start etc. It is strange, isn't it? :)

At first I'd like to understand the whole problem. I don't have a spare PSU, and I don't want to buy one, if it's not 100% that it will solve the whole problem. If it was the PSU, why does the RAM moving solves the issue temporarily? If I have no other ways to go, I'll buy a PSU then, thanks for the advice.

I have already moved my Windows. (I write this now using this faulty PC running my cloned - but genuine - Windows that's on my new - silent - internal HDD. Though, the bottleneck is the HDD itself, not the cable. It's a really slow one.)

#11 TamasBolvari

TamasBolvari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:05 AM

Solved. Go to BIOS, set Memory Boot Mode to Disable Fast Boot. 

(Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3, BIOS Version: F6 07/09/2014, RAM: 1x4GB DIMM DDR3 Kingston 99U5584-005.A00LF clocked @ 1600 MHz.)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users