Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone here built a Hackintosh?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

I sold my MBP a few months ago and miss the UI. Thought about building one after watching this video. Do any of you have experience with building a hackintosh? Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

I have built one. IMO it's not worth the hassle. Just install Linux and find a Window Manager you like.

If you choose to go forward with a hackintosh, you will have the following issues:

1. Updates are a pain. Don't even get me started here.
  2. You have to choose very specific hardware components when building. This tends to drive build costs up a bit.
  3. Not everything works and bugs abound on what does work.

It's possible, but is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 VincePolston

VincePolston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:59 PM

Thank you for the advice. Just thought I may save some money and learn in the process. Might be better if I just save up and purchase another mac. Shoot. A used mac mini would suffice for what I do.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

A hackintosh is probably a better choice than buying a pre-built mac. (It's certainly a lot cheaper.) However it does have a bit of a learning curve.

The place I learned about hackintoshes was http://www.tonymacx86.com/ It has plenty of suggested builds and explain what does and doesn't work on each.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

Thank you for the advice. Just thought I may save some money and learn in the process. Might be better if I just save up and purchase another mac. Shoot. A used mac mini would suffice for what I do.

Personally, I would just buy a Mac (new or used). While you might save money by going the hackintosh route, keep in mind that your time and hassle is an indirect cost. So, unless you really like to just "tinker" or play with stuff, it makes more sense to me to just buy a Mac, especially if you actually want to use the Mac for productive things.

For me, the only way that I would do it is if I wanted to "tinker"/play with it. But, I frankly have more than enough other things to tinker/play with...and since I actually have several Macs, I have no really need for some kludged Mac that would likely be a pain to maintain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users