Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can this cause damage?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 yunion

yunion

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

okay i was on my desktop in my appartment maintenace came they cut off the power for a split second could that have damaged my desktop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

Potentially...but, probably not. Certain hard drives can lose data if they suddenly get their power cut. 

Did maintenance warn you they were going to cut power or was it a mistake?

#3 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

no they didnt

#4 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

now my audio seems off

Edited by yunion, 24 June 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

If you haven't already, reboot the computer. That usually takes care of it. If you still have problems, do a system restore to the date immediately before this happened.

If still no joy, open an elevated command prompt, and enter the two following commands:

cd C:\\ [press enter-don't forget the space after cd];

SFC /SCANNOW [press enter-don't forget the space after SFC and /SCANNOW];

follow any prompts, it may ask you if you want to run it on the next reboot. Choose "yes"

Edited by ranchhand_, 24 June 2016 - 02:16 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

cd c:\\ ?

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

Try it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:12 AM

i tried cd c:\\ it just brought up another cmd prompt c:\>

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:14 AM

get back to a C prompt.

c:\>cd\windows\system32 <enter>

c:\windows\system32>sfc /scannow <enter>

I took you to windows system32 directory 'cause some computers have lost a piece of the path, and if/when happens, the DOS commands will not work unless one is in the windows system32 directory.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

I suspect that your computer is on a surge protector, it will not protect against brownout or blackout.  I recommend an UPS.  Meanwhile, the only damage might be:  whatever data you were working on, creating, editing, saving, the last "version" might not have been saved to hard-drive; and a program was not closed properly.  Normally, a coldboot/startup or at least a restart will fix the programs, however, your un-saved data will have to be reDone.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 June 2016 - 07:18 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

I suspect that your computer is on a surge protector, it will not protect against brownout or blackout.  I recommend an UPS.  Meanwhile, the only damage might be:  whatever data you were working on, creating, editing, saving, the last "version" might not have been saved to hard-drive; and a program was not closed properly.  Normally, a coldboot/startup or at least a restart will fix the programs, however, your un-saved data will have to be reDone.

im not on a surge protector and if the sound was damaged would a sound card fix the problem?

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

The reason that I gave you that command is that usually the elevated command prompt starts in the System32 directory; I like to run it from the root C:\\. However, if your computer is messed up and you open with that, then just go ahead and run SFC /SCANNOW from whatever directory you can access. Did you run from the the elevated prompt, not the regular one? In case you don't know, follow this procedure:

>Click Start

>Click All Programs

>Click Accessories

>Right click Command PromptRun As Administrator.

Enter the sound control panel in Control Panel and make sure all the setting are correct, just in case the problem is there. It seems like you have a corruption in your sound system files. If you keep regular image backups, now might be a good time to re-image from the latest backup.

Another suggestion is to go to your computer manufacturers website, find the model of your unit, and look for driver downloads. The motherboard chipset and sound drivers hopefully will be there for download. Some companies are very good about posting system drivers, others are not.

A sound card should take care of the problem, but when an OS (operating system) suffers a corruption no guarantees.

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 June 2016 - 08:19 AM.

#13 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

The reason that I gave you that command is that usually the elevated command prompt starts in the System32 directory; I like to run it from the root C:\\. However, if your computer is messed up and you open with that, then just go ahead and run SFC /SCANNOW from whatever directory you can access. Did you run from the the elevated prompt, not the regular one? In case you don't know, follow this procedure:

>Click Start

>Click All Programs

>Click Accessories

>Right click Command PromptRun As Administrator.

Enter the sound control panel in Control Panel and make sure all the setting are correct, just in case the problem is there. It seems like you have a corruption in your sound system files. If you keep regular image backups, now might be a good time to re-image from the latest backup.

Another suggestion is to go to your computer manufacturers website, find the model of your unit, and look for driver downloads. The motherboard chipset and sound drivers hopefully will be there for download. Some companies are very good about posting system drivers, others are not.

A sound card should take care of the problem, but when an OS (operating system) suffers a corruption no guarantees.

i ran it from cmd in administrator

also all sound settings look correct

#14 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:36 AM

also usb sound cards should work to right?

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

ranchhand, I'm so used to running batchfiles, I forgot how to find that CMD and right-click   :)   Anyway, your way's quicker, leaner.

yunion - does your desktop have both an internal sound card and an external sound card?  Reason for asking:  my desktop over here has both.  I assume you have already done the Sounds tab checks from within Control Panel -->  Sound, correct?

Because my sound sometimes goes silent, I've activated the make noise at Windows startup, along with the noise for Windows login and Windows logout -- if I don't hear at least the login and logout sounds, I start troubleshooting.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 June 2016 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users