Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hanging on start-up logo after installing new CPU.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Sksyy

Sksyy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hi there !

So I've been having this problem for a while now and it's starting to grate on my nerves a little.

My PC has been hanging at the startup screen after installing a new CPU. I've checked; it's compatible with my motherboard. So when I start my computer, it will get to the windows logo, freeze, and the fans make a noise like they're being extremely stressed and the pitch goes higher very quickly. I switch off my computer at this point because I'm worried it will break.

I've restarted the CMOS by replacing the battery. It'll get to the BIOS fine, but even when observing temperatures my fan speed will gradually go from 2100rpm up to 2900rpm in about a minute. Just in BIOS. The temperature will be 50-52C.

When putting in my old CPU, the same thing happens. It will freeze on startup, but the temperature will be 25C and fan speeds are 1600rpm.

I can't access safe mode with either CPU. I don't think it's a power supply problem since I upgraded to a 550W at the same time. I've done a RAM test by removing each one and leaving a single stick in.

I'm absolutely baffled and completely frustrated.

I'm on Windows 7. The CPU I had was an AMD Athlon II X3 425. I'm trying to upgrade to an Athlon X4 965. I'm unsure of my motherboard model because I normally use a program on my computer to tell me, but I think it's an Asus?

If anyone has any idea what this could be, please let me know. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

Hi there !

So I've been having this problem for a while now and it's starting to grate on my nerves a little.

My PC has been hanging at the startup screen after installing a new CPU. I've checked; it's compatible with my motherboard. So when I start my computer, it will get to the windows logo, freeze, and the fans make a noise like they're being extremely stressed and the pitch goes higher very quickly. I switch off my computer at this point because I'm worried it will break.

I've restarted the CMOS by replacing the battery. It'll get to the BIOS fine, but even when observing temperatures my fan speed will gradually go from 2100rpm up to 2900rpm in about a minute. Just in BIOS. The temperature will be 50-52C.

When putting in my old CPU, the same thing happens. It will freeze on startup, but the temperature will be 25C and fan speeds are 1600rpm.

I can't access safe mode with either CPU. I don't think it's a power supply problem since I upgraded to a 550W at the same time. I've done a RAM test by removing each one and leaving a single stick in.

I'm absolutely baffled and completely frustrated.

I'm on Windows 7. The CPU I had was an AMD Athlon II X3 425. I'm trying to upgrade to an Athlon X4 965. I'm unsure of my motherboard model because I normally use a program on my computer to tell me, but I think it's an Asus?

If anyone has any idea what this could be, please let me know. :(

You don't know your exact motherboard model but are sure that it supports Phenom II CPU's?

If your machine does not work with either CPU, it's possible that motherboard is broken and CPU's are OK. Do you see anything wrong with motherboard capacitors?

#3 Sksyy

Sksyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

I used a program on my computer to tell me what the motherboard was before which was how I could tell the CPU was compatible. It was an acer brand. I found the name of it earlier but I believe the problem is the motherboard too so I ordered a used one of the same chipset. Thanks for the reply !

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

Did you use a thermal compound when you changed the CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Sksyy

Sksyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

Yep thermal paste was used. Generic brand so not the best, but it's on there.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

So motherboard is new also, possible that new motherboard is also broken but that's quite bad luck. Power supply is 550W but from which manufacturer?

#7 Sksyy

Sksyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

Corsair. From Amazon so I'm reluctant to say that could be the issue.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:49 AM

Corsair. From Amazon so I'm reluctant to say that could be the issue.

Corsair does not manufacture any PSU's and so quality varies.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

Almost every PSU manufacturer has units beginning at low end products (models you don't want) and move up to better quality through their product lines.  Corsair may not manufacturer their own PSUs, but you have to admit that their HX850W is arguably among the best 850W power supplies on the market, at least for under $200.

Just for the record, Corsair PSUs are manufactured by SeaSonic and Channel Well Tech (CWT).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Almost every PSU manufacturer has units beginning at low end products (models you don't want) and move up to better quality through their product lines.  Corsair may not manufacturer their own PSUs, but you have to admit that their HX850W is arguably among the best 850W power supplies on the market, at least for under $200.

Just for the record, Corsair PSUs are manufactured by SeaSonic and Channel Well Tech (CWT).

True. Still I consider Corsair to be most overhyped PSU "manufacturer". First they made only good models and managed to get some kind of fan club that thinks every Corsair is good. Problem is not Corsair's high end section as high end Corsairs are actually good. However for low end Corsairs there are many alternatives, that are often better, cheaper or both. This is quite evident in this case. That "550W Corsair from Amazon" might be Corsair CS 550. From Amazon, better units with same wattage (eVGA G2 (SuperFlower) 550W and GS 550 (Seasonic) ) are much cheaper and even much better eVGA GS/G2 650 units are 1-2 dollars cheaper.

It might also be CX550, price difference is way too small compared to 80+ gold devices. And better quality Seasonic S12-II 520 is even cheaper. This is problem with Corsair brand. Products are just too expensive considering build quality.

As for this topic, Sksyy haven't tried with old PSU yet?

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

This problem is easily solved if you have the installation disk for the OS.  You need to boot to that disk and it will allow you to REPAIR the OS, getting what drivers it needs to reflect the new hardware.  That disk is important.  A recovery partition does not have the files needed to fix the OS for the new CPU.

#12 Sksyy

Sksyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

I've tried with my old power supply, yes. Problem still persists.

Ok, so, I've bought and installed a new motherboard. Every component is the same including the CPU. However, the problem persists still. Could it be that this problem is due to my hardrive or would that be unplausible? Do I need to adjust something in the bios?

Unfortunately Nova I do not have the recovery disk. If this were the case why wouldn't my old processor work?

Edited by Sksyy, 28 June 2016 - 05:39 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:50 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer and the model of the new motherboard.

#14 Sksyy

Sksyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:55 AM

My computer is an Acer Aspire m3400. Only the case, cd readers and the hardrive is original. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-880gm USB3.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

When you installed the new motherboard did you use the disc which came with it to install the drivers for this motherboard?

Did you reinstall Windows after installing the new (1st new) motherboard?

Did you generalize the hdd using the Sysprep.exe before installing the new CPU?

When a Windows operating system is install it looks at the devices in the motherboard and finds the necessary drivers for these and other hardware needed when Windows is started each time.  If you change a device on the motherboard, such as the CPU, Windows could either not boot at all, or be able to boot but have problems.  This is the reason you should use the Sysprep.exe to generalize the hdd before introducing it to new hardware.  The generalized hdd will look for the needed Windows drivers when it is first started with new hardware.

I don't suppose you have a copy of the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users