Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sever migration to new box

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mccarron

mccarron

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

We are a non-profit running one server the last 7 years as a file and database server. After some recent hardware problem it was decided to upgrade both hardware and software to the most recent editions. We presently run Windows server 2008 STD and SQL Sever 2008 Std and backup Exec. We are moving to OS 2012 and SQL 2016 and upgrading Backup Exec.

I am wondering what is the best and easiest way to move from one server to the other with a minimum of downtime for my users. Our Databases (accounting, mailing) are critical to our organization. I act as admin for everything as well as my other duties and installed and maintained everything on this server for the 7 years.  There is nothing on the new box at all now..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

Talk to Backup Exec technical support about doing a backup and bare metal restore to the new hardware.

"are critical to our organization"

Beg to disagree.  3-4 years is max for hardware.  You have all your eggs in one basket [server].  You can't consider data/operations critical if you are only as good as your last backup.  Consider coming up with a replacement plan/extra servers with management/CFO so you treat the operation as critical.

#3 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

We are a non-profit running one server the last 7 years as a file and database server. After some recent hardware problem it was decided to upgrade both hardware and software to the most recent editions. We presently run Windows server 2008 STD and SQL Sever 2008 Std and backup Exec. We are moving to OS 2012 and SQL 2016 and upgrading Backup Exec.

I am wondering what is the best and easiest way to move from one server to the other with a minimum of downtime for my users. Our Databases (accounting, mailing) are critical to our organization. I act as admin for everything as well as my other duties and installed and maintained everything on this server for the 7 years.  There is nothing on the new box at all now..

I would consider p2ving the 2008 servers and running them as virtual machines on the new hardware. Then you can migrate everything over using the new hardware which will avoid hardware failures during migration issues. 

You can create the p2v images while the servers are running. When they are finished, you will start them in 2012r2 and no one will be the wiser. 

#4 mccarron

mccarron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

Always had hardware available on site if the stuff hit the fan.  An backup server we used as a workstation.  We raid 1 hot swap drives in both machines.  We are purchasing 2 machines this time too.  I've thought about using backup exec to do a total  bare metal restore, but after all this time there is so much crap on this machine.  Remnamts of old software that a clean install seems the best path.  Just leery about moving roles like AD

#5 mccarron

mccarron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

I would consider p2ving the 2008 servers and running them as virtual machines on the new hardware. Then you can migrate everything over using the new hardware which will avoid hardware failures during migration issues. 

You can create the p2v images while the servers are running. When they are finished, you will start them in 2012r2 and no one will be the wiser. 

I'll have to do some reading up on the virual stuff before moving forward.  What kind of licensing do you need for that.  We only purchased a single std edition

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

Use virtuals mate and if you have a NAS or an old server use it to replicate with Veeam / Backup. We only use BUEXEC for offsite TAPE's.

With a flick of a switch and telling vmware to run off the replicated host then you would be up and running with in minutes.

It might not be as fast as the good server but atleast this allows you to run while you purchase a new physical host.

Not many people use physicals for certain roles when virtuals are so much more flexible.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

Server 2012 std is licensed for one physical and 2 virtual servers. You can have the Server 2008 AD/DS replicate with the 2012. IMO you should look at upgrading to a better backup software such as Veeam or ShadowProtect. Personally I had allot of issues with old versions of Backup exec. There are technet articles and blogs about migrating to 2012. I am in the process of migrating a SBS 2008 box now. I just finished the email migration to Office 365. The new 2012 server is next.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 High_Technology

High_Technology

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

Alright!

0 user(s) are reading this topic