Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen With Mouse Curser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crapgame

Crapgame

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

HP Pavilion Elite m9340f

Win7 Pro 64

When I returned home the computer had a blank \ black screen with white mouse curser only (the computer stays on 24 \7 so I can access while on the road) .  I attempted the following:

Reboot, attempted both options, startup repair & boot normally, same result as above

F8, Last config successful, same result 

F8, Safe Mode, same result

Offline Windows Defender, started but blank screen

Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10, used text option, came back with "your computer's operating system has been shut down incorrectly.  File systemis going to be mounted.  The procedure may cause damage to it.  To avoid file corruption you are advised to shut down the operating system correctly before using Kaspersky Rescue Disk".  I rebooted, same result 

At this point I am stumped, any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Crapgame
7 or 11

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command from the Startup Repair options.

Or just try Startup Repair again.

Neither of those two tools...guarantees success with a 1-time effort, at times they may need to be run multiple times.

Louis

#3 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for your response Louis:

I can not get to the Start Up Repair, in any way.  I have tried F8 and selecting it, tried safe mode with command prompt, safe mode, safe mode with networking......  I even used the Win 7 DVD.  It just goes to the blank screen with the mouse arrow.  I know the DVD works as I used Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10.

My other thought was the video card, I removed it and used the video output from the mother board, that didn't work either.

The Power Supply?  Unlikely, as it is fairly new.

The only other way to do check disk would be to remove the drive and either install it as a slave in another machine or put it into an external case and connect it via USB.

I am totally stumped........

Kevin

Crapgame
7 or 11

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

When you tried using the installation DVD did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD/CD drive is the first device in the boot order and the HDD/SSD is the second device?

If you can boot from the installation disc use the instructions below to perform a Repair Installation.  This will not effect your data.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

Thanks dc3:

Bios is set to CD /DVD first, it asks when a cd\dvd is detected if you want to boot from the drive.  You hit any key to boot from the drive.  I hit enter and it appeared to boot from the dvd.  Although I did not see the \ your first screen so maybe it didn't.  I will check the Bios and see if I can set it to only boot from the DVD. 

Thanks

Kevin

Edited by Crapgame, 25 June 2016 - 09:30 AM.

Crapgame
7 or 11

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:42 AM

With the BIOS boot order set so that the DVD/CD drive is the first device it will boot from that drive.  If there isn't a disc in the drive it will go on to boot from the next device in the boot order.

If you get to the screen that gives you the option to Repair your computer you should be able to select that option and continue with the instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

Ok, stumped for sure........

It is not booting from CD\DVD, don't know why.  Went into the BIOS and CD\DVD is #1, HD #2.  It is skipping DVD although I hit the enter key when asked.  I even tried to use a different Win 7 64 disk, still goes to hard drive......  But will load other programs from the DVD drive on power up ???????

The repair option is from the HD, I hit repair and I get the blank screen with the mouse pointer (it can be moved around screen).

Edited by Crapgame, 25 June 2016 - 10:06 AM.

Crapgame
7 or 11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users