Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus router system log

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stipl3x

Stipl3x

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:28 AM

Hi!

After I updated Avast to the nitro update (I think this is the cause), I started to see in my router's log some strange lines like miniupnpd[a number]: discarding NAT-PMP request (too short) 0Bytes 

And then another line like unknown udp packet received from "my laptop ip" and then a port

It repeats like ten times with different ports

And there is another thing

After the update, when I opened Internet Explorer it showed a pop up with sometinhg like a web program is trying to open in uprotected..

Or something like this

From avast and I pressed allow

It was the first time

Hope you can explain me what are these things

I hope you will not give me a copy paste answer with : download a program and copy a log

Because I only want to know what are these things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

What NAT-PMP is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_Port_Mapping_Protocol

Since Avast has a so-called router scanning feature built in, I would assume that it is sending some sort of test packet to your router. This is probably what it is.

Avast has a browser plugin that may have triggered that message, but without a screenshot I can't be sure.

P.S: Don't get mad about copy-paste answers. Sometimes we need more info, and copy-pasting makes sure we don't forget to explain a step :)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:29 PM

I think ScathEnfys might be spot on. The Nitro update uses "new technology that utilizes the cloud to identify and analyze threats". That cloud connection is probably the UDP traffic from your laptop. If you want exact answers, can you post the log? Feel free to edit out any personal information like MAC addresses and your public IP. 

#4 Stipl3x

Stipl3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:56 AM

Thanks for your answers!

About the ss..I can't make anymore because I checked to not show it again...

But I think I will leave it like it is...maybe it's from Avast because I don't think it's only a coincidence

But againg, thanks for your answers :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users