Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not recognizing R9 290

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joe_shroe

joe_shroe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:21 AM

My friend helped me build my computer in 2014 (by help I mean did pretty much everything) so I don't know very many technical things about this machine. Today I took out my R9 290 to clean a little dust out of the fans and put it back, but when I played some games I realized I could barely handle low settings when I could easily handle high earlier. I went into BIOS and saw on the motherboard there wasn't anything detected in the space where my GPU was connected. Now I see the graphics card I'm using is Intel HD Graphics 4600 which explains the ****** performance.

What I'm not sure about are the PCI-E connectors for the R9. It seems the only thing that works is connecting a 6 pin and another 6 pin, but there's 8+6 spaces in my GPU. When I try to connect 6+8, my monitors won't work for some reason but I hear the windows start up sound. However if I boot up my computer using 6+6, insert 2 more pins while my computer's running, and restart, the monitor will work. As soon as I plug in those last 2 pins though, my PSU (Corsair CX600W) fan starts blowing really loudly. 

So my question is: For connecting my CX600W to my R9 290, am I supposed to use 6+8 or 6+6? And if it's not the PCI-E problems, what else can I try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

can you take a photo to the pins please? and the psu cables?

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 joe_shroe

joe_shroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

Nvm fixed it, connected the PCI-E 8+6, booted computer, somehow it worked this time.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users