Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can a sata cable cause bad sectors in HDD ??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shinmarwan

shinmarwan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

so here is the story :

i had a WD blue 1 TB which i store all my movies and games until it begins to fill up

so i decided to purchase additional HDD same type blue 1 TB and bought a cheap sata cable and power cable

after installing the new hdd everything was good and did a quick format and stored some files in it

Suddenly a hard freeze happened .... no( ctr; alt delete ) or ( alt f4 ) or ( alt tab ) solved any thing

the freeze lasted up to 10 mins  and the system worked again

it happens every time i start my pc

why does this happen ?

i checked the new hdd for errors but it was clean

may be the sata cable ??

may be the power cable ?

i need advice please 

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

I'm not clear on your mention of bad sectors when you say you checked the new HDD for errors and it was clean. A faulty SATA cable could possibly cause blocks with CRC errors, which are not genuine bad sectors but the CRC check can't tell the difference. They will however show up for example with chkdsk, unless the drive's internal maintenance had already mapped them out.

Are you able to reproduce the locking up consistently with the drive connected up, and never when it is not connected? If having the drive present is clearly the sole cause of the lockup, I'd think more likely the drive itself is faulty, but the only way to be quite sure would be to get to try alternative cables. I assume the power cable you mention is something like a Molex to SATA adapter cable - I don't expect there's any reason this could cause lockups.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:50 PM

I'm not clear on your mention of bad sectors when you say you checked the new HDD for errors and it was clean. A faulty SATA cable could possibly cause blocks with CRC errors, which are not genuine bad sectors but the CRC check can't tell the difference. They will however show up for example with chkdsk, unless the drive's internal maintenance had already mapped them out.

Are you able to reproduce the locking up consistently with the drive connected up, and never when it is not connected? If having the drive present is clearly the sole cause of the lockup, I'd think more likely the drive itself is faulty, but the only way to be quite sure would be to get to try alternative cables. I assume the power cable you mention is something like a Molex to SATA adapter cable - I don't expect there's any reason this could cause lockups.

thanks for response

update : i removed the new HDD and guess what ?? same problem happened again

it was the old HDD... i did chkdsk r , there was a bad block and restarted the pc and its good for now

but why did this happen when i installed the new HDD ?

may be the bad sata cable of the new HDD cause a bad sector in the old HDD ? 

should i install the new hdd again ? i am afraid

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,704 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:58 AM

The SATA cable of the new drive has no physical connection to the original one, there's no mechanism for it to affect it. I expect it is probably just a coincidence.

I'd suggest download the Data Lifeguard diagnostic from Western Digital and run a check on the drive:

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=702&lang=en

On the Downloads tab, click on Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Edited by Platypus, 24 June 2016 - 02:58 AM.

#5 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:26 AM

thank you for assist

anyway i will try alternative cables see what happens

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

No harm in trying that.

#7 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

No harm in trying that.

yup it was the cable

everything is good now

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,704 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:54 PM

Good result, thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users