Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'This device is currently in use" when trying to eject drive set for performance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:48 PM

I have an external hard drive full of images extracted from movies. every frame extracted, we're talking over 1,000,000 pictures per folder. In order for me to even view the thumbnails in a timely fashion, I set the drive to optimize for performance instead of quick removal so I MUST use the "safely remove hardware function" as indicated when I set up that setting, "You must always use the safely remove hardware function in the task bar", when I don't, I get an error message that I unplugged a device without stopping it which can cause damage to the device, but I cannot stop it because every time I try, I get the following error:

"This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again."

so basically if I try to properly eject the device, I get that error message, if I just pull the plug, I get a message that I could damage the device.

There are no open windows with that drive and there are no programs on the drive nor any program open accessing any of the files on the drive.

How do I fix this?

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 23 June 2016 - 06:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

This is a problem that's been going on for a long time. Fortunately the way Windows deals with external disks means that the likelihood of actually damaging your drive is low, unlike if you were to do the same thing on a Linux machine.

I only know of one way to deal with this... it's a little complex, but for the safety of your data it might  be worth it to you.

Rather than copying it I'll just link the article here for you.

You can also open your task manager and look for programs that may be using the device and kill them manually there, though I've found that hard to succeed with in the past.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

By finding the program that's causing the issue you could negate the whole situation by uninstalling that particular application, though this can be a process of trial and error and often ends in frustration.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:29 PM

Slyveon Fetish, is the ext HD ac-powered?  Awhile back I got the same thing, with Explorer.exe "sighted on C" then closed, and when I knew every read/write was done for sure, I turned off the ac power to the ext HD.  Not a permanent solution back then, however, along with buying me time to run down the errant program, no data was lost.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 June 2016 - 07:09 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

It can also be easily fixed with Unlocker, just make sure you select the advanced install and uncheck the bundled junkware on the installer.

Best solution I found so far, new since I last looked at this.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:40 PM

TsVk, thanks for reminding me about Unblocker!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:07 AM

Well I have LockHunter but it doesn't work on drives, I don't really need two unlocking utilities, and besides my antivirus (AVG Internet Security) attacks the unlocker before it even finishes downloading.

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 24 June 2016 - 06:07 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

AVG's response could well be a false positive, AVG is regarded as being a bit prone to these. I downloaded and installed UnLocker just now, and my Emsisoft, which is pretty stern, was unfazed.

Make sure that AVG is not set to always scan removable drives, it could be refusing to let go until it has done a scan.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:08 AM

AVG's response could well be a false positive, AVG is regarded as being a bit prone to these.

Even the Pro Version of AVG?

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

Unlocker does have Babylon toolbar bundled, which you need to uncheck with advanced options when you install... adware junk. I inspected the installation package yesterday before I linked it here.

Disable your antivirus, download install the application and then delete the installer and re-enable your antivirus.

Make sure that AVG is not set to always scan removable drives, it could be refusing to let go until it has done a scan.

Good thinking.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

Even the Pro Version of AVG?

The respectable providers of free AVs such as Avast!, Avira & AVG state the detections of the free versions and the paid versions are the same. They use the same engine and signatures, the paid versions offer advantages in features and extra functionality.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users