Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnostics Policy Service not running!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kornykid403

Kornykid403

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

Windows 8.1 will not access the internet. Error message says can't access the internet because the Diagnostic Policy Service is not running. Please help get this fixed. I also ran command prompt, net localgroup Administrators /add network service. Got error: System error 1378 has occurred. Ran cmd for local service and it completed success. I still can't find a fix.
OK I found my problem. After entering the cmds for net local group I just rebooted PC and it came back on. Whatever that was changed the settings now I'm online again. Just thanks for the posting and looking at others too helped.

Edited by Kornykid403, 23 June 2016 - 05:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

Open the Search charm and type in serivices, Services will appear below the search box, click/tap on it.

When Services opens scroll down to Diagnostic Policy Service and right click on it.

The Startup type should be set to Automatic.

If the service is not running under Service Status click/tap on Start.

Restart the computer and see if this resolves this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kornykid403

Kornykid403
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hi dc3,

Thanks for the tip and to get back to you. In my post I did an edit because I was looking around at other sites for an answer. So googling,  I saw this,," Click on Run as in Command Prompt Administrator, to reset the networking in the Diagnostic Policy Service, type: net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice. Should say ok, but got the error:1378. So went to the next entry to type: net localgroup Administrators /add localservice. This one said ok. Checked the Services again and still would not start until I rebooted and got then got online. How I don't know. Am still online with this pc and the DPS is still not running in Services or Task Manager, but Diagnostic Tracking Service is. Also the Diagnostic System Host is not running. I am still working on an online connection. Just to say I saw where DPS was not necessary to run on win7. So maybe it's true for win8.  I did try what you suggested and it didn't work. Just to let you know that the Task Manager and the tiles do not work all the time like supposed to. I think it;s a flaw with windows8.1 as it takes way too much time and excess bloatware to figure out the simple things that used to be in windows7. Thanks for your help. I forgot I did install new anitvirus which is very helpful and has firewall protection.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

What anitvirus were you running previously?

What antivirus did you install?

Do you now have more than one antivirus running/installed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kornykid403

Kornykid403
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

Thanks dc3,

As you know, most newer pc-laptops come pre-installed with Antivirus. I bought mine around Dec.2015 but not using til Jan 2016. Acer Aspire came with McAfee preinstalled plus I already had a paid subscription to McAfee for the full suite. It ran great except that's all it did. Supposedly loaded new definitions to keep up with viruses.Well when I bought the pc the antivirus installed would not activate the windows 8.1 so I could get updates from windows. Also I couldn't use any of the tiles. It only loaded to boot up to the start page for windows which I could access some of the applications but not all or get online. I constantly called between Microsoft Help and Acer Support. Both tried to help but in the end it was Acer that had to send me a Factory-USB-Reset stick. Which actually erased everything and was able to activate to get online. But that was the beginning of the end for the McAfee not updating their files. I had to start over and the application didn't didn't accept that it had been on my pc before that. Which kept it crashes on me because the updates didn't match the version I had. I called and was online with McAfee different times to uninstall then install. I didn't know how to fix it in the registry but feel that's where the problem was. I had so many things trying to lock me down and it did, so wasn;t able to stay online anymore. So I uninstalled the whole package of antivirus to just keep Windows Defender running for awhile. I was still looking for an antivirus with a firewall and remembered I had a subscription for Avast on another computer. So put in Avast Internet Suite  and it turned out nice. I am online today with no problems. It disabled settings for windows defender as it's built-in, but this Avast runs great for me. I only run one antivirus, thanks again. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

I would suggest that you uninstall McAfee and then install the version you paid for.  McAfee has product removal tool which you should, you can find it here.

After you have done this let us know how the computer is working.

I apologize for not betting back sooner.  I was out of town all day yesterday.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

The Diagnostics Policy Service will not cause network connections to fail the Diagnostic Policy Service enables problem detection, troubleshooting and resolution for Windows components.  If this service is stopped, diagnostics will no longer function. As dc3 suggested uninstall McAfee if issue not resolves after uninstalling McAfee download batch script i created and run it as a administrator to reset TCP/IP protocol suite settings.

Attached File  ResetNetworkCompenents.bat   62.26KB   241 downloads

Posted Image

#8 Kornykid403

Kornykid403
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Hi

Just to say, I already uninstalled McAfee from my Acer laptop before adding the Avast Internet Security 2016.  This McAfee had come pre-installed with my new pc.  Was not allowing my to get online to activate or update windows.  McAfee became unresponsive even though I had a paid subscription. Always scanning,never doing anything but keeping me offline.  I did have to use the McAfee tool to remove everything.  So calling Acer customer service to explain, they sent me a USB-System Recovery Drive to reset my drive and able to get back online.  My Avast Internet Suite is running great and couldn't ask for better especially with a firewall. I did notice that my DPS is not running whenever I run the Network Adapter Troubleshooting. It says the Diagnostic Policy Service is not running. Normally this runs for me but don't know what the issue is going on. Since having Windows 8.1 and having to use tiles, they never seem to match up with the control panel. Recently had to use the Control Panel to change something and couldn't with the tiles. I believe it has to do something with the account sign-in thing with microsoft and using outlook which I also had problems at one time. But got that fixed too by re-installing files. I may try the "ResetNetworkCompenents" to see if that helps. Thanks Freebooter and also to dc3.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

You are very welcome we are glad to know main issue has been resolved.

Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type below commands to enable Diagnostic Policy Service.

Sc Config DPS start= Auto

Sc Start DPS

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 July 2016 - 11:37 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users