Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hot CPU, loud HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marius_Dub

Marius_Dub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

Hi. I am experiencing this very annoying issue with my Windows 10 laptop. Whenever I use Windows 10, my HDD starts working very loud, even if it says that it's working 0% in the Task Manager. That sound of working HDD is just mentally destroying me, as it makes me feel like that I use a very old 98 machine. Another issue, is that after I use my notebook for about a minute or so, it gets hot. I believe that this issue is related to Windows, because I also use Linux (Kali if more specific) from time to time, and I have none of these issues. I still need Windows for my most programs to run, but it just feels so 'cheap' whenever I use Windows 10. If only I could, I would switch back to Windows 7, but Windows 7 won't install, because it is missing my hard drive drivers. Anybody knows how to fix any of my issue?   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

Can't help you with the HDD issue.  Windows 10 tends to prefer "fan always on" mode in laptops and, if your machine supports it, will turn it on as part of the installation process.  I would check in UEFI/BIOS if that feature has been enabled and, if this is not what you'd prefer, turn it off and see if your laptop works OK in that mode.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

Make, model, and age of the laptop would be helpful.  I used to support HP laptops and there was a model that would present similar issues at around 18 months.  The problem was that the radiator that was after the fan would get clogged with lint and was no longer cooling properly.

The reason you're probably not seeing it under Linux is that you're not stressing the system as much.

#4 Marius_Dub

Marius_Dub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

My laptop is about 6 months old, it's HP 250 G4 

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

Windows does not need driver for hard disk drives (HDD) but you may have to install driver for hard drive adapter card if Windows does not have driver for it.

If you can install Windows 10 then without installing driver for hard drive adapter then you should able to install Windows 7 as well.

If it’s been less than a month since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can go back to your previous version of Windows by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery  and selecting  Go back to Windows 7. This won't affect your personal files, but it will remove any apps you installed after the upgrade to Windows 10.

You can also try my suggestions at my tutorial thread for boosting performance of Windows OS, the url link for the tutorials is below.

Tweaking & Optimizing Windows

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617106/tweaking-optimizing-windows/

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users