Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect free - usb rescue media won't boot

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

I'm always hesitant to post because my questions are so newbie-ish.

I downloaded Macrium Reflect free 6.1, build 1311.  No problem.  Put in a 4 GB USB and clicked on "create bootable Rescue media"...selected 64-bit PE architecture and default base WIM, selected USB device (\G:), checked enable multiboot MBR/UEFI USB support, then clicked finish.  

To test as recommended, leaving the USB in the slot, I restarted but there was no boot into recovery.

I removed the USB, shut down the laptop, put USB in, turned on the laptop and again, there was no boot into recovery.

I made a second USB rescue media and tested it in the same two ways, and still no boot into recovery.

Then, in another restart with the USB still in, as it started up, I pressed ESC and saw the F9 option "boot device options"...I selected USB Lexar which was listed...nothing happened for a bit, then in the upper right of the black screen it said "Missing Operating System_".  I had to shut down at the power button.

Isn't the rescue USB supposed to boot the laptop directly into recovery?  Why isn't it making a proper USB rescue media?  

Thanks much for your help,

Jackiemarie

Windows 7 Home Premium

HP g7-1310 Notebook

EAM

MBAM Pro

EAM, Malware Bytes Premium

HP g7- Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

Are you Trying to make a Rescue Disk to save your possibly lost data?

or are you trying to make a repair disk to fix issues within windows?

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

I want to make a rescue usb/disk "just in case" this older laptop gets corrupted, and I want to use Macrium Reflect to do a backup right now.  

The Macrium instructions said to immediately test the newly created usb rescue media, and that's as far as I've gotten since the test result doesn't comport with what Macrium said the usb should do and that is "boot directly into recovery".

I have not lost any data.  But I'd prefer to be prepared.

Edited by jackiemarie, 23 June 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

I successfully created a bootable USB flash drive in Macrium with USB 3 support. I am not sure why you have this problem though. I would recommend you try the following. Instead of writing directly to a USB flash drive have Macirum create an iso file. After the iso file is created download Rufus and use it to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Attach your flash drive and run Rufus. Make sure your flash drive is listed. Select GPT and not MBR partition scheme in the dropdown box if your computer uses GPT. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Macrium iso file you created. Press Start. Any personal data will need to be backed up first. 

Attach the flash drive, reboot, and tap F9 for the boot menu.

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

I See, Let's see if this helps you out:

In Windows 7, you can start the Create a System Repair Disc" wizard using multiple methods. One of them is to go to Start Menu -> All Programs -> Maintenance -> Create a System Repair Disc". In Windows 7, you can start the "Create a System Repair Disc" wizard using multiple methods. One of them is to go to Start Menu -> All Programs -> Maintenance -> Create a System Repair Disc.

or you can go to Microsoft's website and download a windows 7 disk(ISO)  (you will need your product key)

The way i back my PC's up is i have a 1.5TB External Hdd, and i copy my  Desktop, Downloads, Videos, Music, Any files id want to keep and then jsut made a new folder on my TB called "mydata and i update it every month.

for me that is by far the easiest way, it may or may not work for you.

but that is my advice

Edited by Viper_Security, 23 June 2016 - 04:01 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#6 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

Wow JohnC, you're over my head; I understand the words but don't fully grasp the concepts as it's new to me.

I just want to make a current system image in case I need to restore.  Macrium suggested to first make this USB rescue media, but I can't get the USB rescue to do what Macrium said it would do.

So I'll forget the USB rescue media for now.

Is the ISO file that Macrium creates a system image that can be used to restore?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

Macrium gives you three options for creating the bootable rescure media, create a bootable CD/DVD, USB flash drive, or an iso file. 

The iso file Macrium creates is not a system image. It is a file that contains all the files required for creating a bootable USB or CD. Rufus uses this iso file to create the bootable rescue media on a USB flash drive. It's really not too difficult. But, If you can get a DVD to boot you will be okay.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

Hi Jackiemarie,

Do you remember the type of Windows PE you use? for Windows 7 make sure you select Windows PE 3.1 on the Change PE Version option, not sure what is the default also don't check the box Enable multiboot MBR/UEFI USB support is not needed for Windows 7.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hi Jackiemarie,

Do you remember the type of Windows PE you use? for Windows 7 make sure you select Windows PE 3.1 on the Change PE Version option, not sure what is the default also don't check the box Enable multiboot MBR/UEFI USB support is not needed for Windows 7.

Hello SleepyDude!

You recommended I use Macrium Reflect some time ago and I'm finally getting around to doing that.  I printed out the instructions on the Macrium website and followed them exactly. And yes I did use the Windows PE 3.1.

I believe I'll create another usb rescue media and UNCHECK the "enable multiboot..."

(I'd still like to be able to use the system image that is on my WD external HDD.  I created these system images over a 2 year period. I didn't activate the WD internal setup but just plugged the WD USB port in and allowed the Windows Backup and Restore system to put the system image on the HDD.  When I needed a system image though, Windows wouldn't let me restore to the last one of the WD HDD.)

I'll be back.

#10 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

When I did not check the option, "enable multiboot...", the USB rescue flash drive did bring up a screen at reboot that wanted me to "choose an operating system".  So I'm assuming this is a proper USB rescue media should the laptop ever be unbootable.  The screen that comes up at reboot doesn't last long enough for me to fully read it; is it available somewhere so that I could study the options?

Is the next step "create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore Windows", leaving checkmarks in system, C:, D:, and E:?

what is the preferred destination folder?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

For a complete disk image you need to have all partitions checked. But, when booting the recovery media you should be able to bring up the Macrium UI when the boot finishes and it should detect all your drives including any attached USB drives. It's very important that you see all your drives. The destination folder should be a folder on your USB external drive.

#12 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

For a complete disk image you need to have all partitions checked. But, when booting the recovery media you should be able to bring up the Macrium UI when the boot finishes and it should detect all your drives including any attached USB drives. It's very important that you see all your drives. The destination folder should be a folder on your USB external drive.

It turns my stomach to not understand what you're telling me.  Specifically the words:  "But, when booting the recovery media you should be able to bring up the Macrium UI when the boot finishes and it should detect all your drives including any attached USB drives. It's very important that you see all your drives."  The booting of the recovery media is a separate event to be used when needed, is that correct?  I do not have to boot to a Macrium UI to " create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore Windows", correct?  Can't I simply open Macrium and follow the prompts?  And should local disk C be the destination of this image?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

It turns my stomach to not understand what you're telling me.  Specifically the words:  "But, when booting the recovery media you should be able to bring up the Macrium UI when the boot finishes and it should detect all your drives including any attached USB drives. It's very important that you see all your drives."  The booting of the recovery media is a separate event to be used when needed, is that correct?  I do not have to boot to a Macrium UI to " create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore Windows", correct?  Can't I simply open Macrium and follow the prompts?  And should local disk C be the destination of this image?

Correct, Macrium allows you to create a disk image from within windows. You cannot have your C: disk be the destination disk because Macrium would be writing to C: at the same time it is trying to create the image. You need to either set the destination to another hard drive or to a DVD set, the number of DVDs depending on the size of your disk image.

If the drive failed your Macrium Recovery USB or DVD would allow you to boot and recover your image from the external drive or DVD set to your new drive. The Macrium Recovery Media would also be used if the computer failed to boot to Windows for some reason. That is why you need to boot the Recover media and make sure it detects your drives, your internal and either the external or your DVD drive. You do not want to be in a situation where you have your disk image and the Recovery Media will not detect your drives.

Edit: If you can boot into Windows Macrium will let you restore the image without the need for the bootable recovery media.

Edit Edit: Here is a youtube video showing recovering an image with the Rescue Media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfQ6xB3pCh4

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2016 - 07:06 PM.

#14 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

JohnC, I appreciate your diligence and patience with my errors and questions.

1.  "That is why you need to boot the Recover media and make sure it detects your drives"--- As I tried to say in post #10, I was able to create the usb rescue media; when I rebooted to test it, it did go to a screen with the words "choose operating system" at the top and I'm sure I saw the word "Macrium"; but the screen didn't stay up long enough for me to study it.   

2.  Can I set the destination for the image as my WD external HDD that has previous Windows backups on it, but there's also plenty of free space?  (It's hard to see in print that I actually asked if I could image the C drive to the C drive, duh.)

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:51 PM

For the first question you need to boot the USB  or DVD and make sure it gets to the Macrium interface as shown in the video. It will look like the one in Windows. Don't count on it working just because you see "Select Operating System" Wait until you are finally at the Macrium interface.

For the second question, yes you can use our WD external drive. That is the optimal destination. You can place all your Macrium images into one folder as they are each give unique names. You can also give the image a comment before starting.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2016 - 07:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users