Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows restarts when "Restart Later" was clicked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

I am having an issue trying to get my mom's computer running smooth. I am running scans SFC scans, CCleaner, and Tweaking.com Repairs because her computer is slow. Windows XP decided to do some updates while I was trying to accomplish this and was presented with "Updating your computer is almost complete." it tells me that in order to complete the update process, the computer needs to be restarted. Two buttons appear, "Restart Now" and "Restart Later" of the 6 times updates were installed, I clicked "Restart Later" four of those times, the computer restarted anyway despite that 'Restart Later' was clicked, completely ignoring what I actually clicked. I Googled the problem but got no hits.

Does anybody know what is going on with this and how to correct it? I had to start over on several things including SFC scan because it did this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

Windows XP? ouch :(, I'm surprised you got any updates at all, Microsoft is no longer supporting XP as of April 2015.

i HIGHLY recommend upgrading to Win 7(Vista has roughly 2-3 years left of support and won't last long)

XP is now a playground for the...malicious it's very unsafe to use not to mention not secure.

My Advice, Back Up the data and upgrade Windows.

Edited by Viper_Security, 23 June 2016 - 03:02 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

The only critical updates for XP that are now downloaded (assuming that all other critical updates have been installed) via Windows Update (this has been the case for a couple of years now) are the monthly Malicious Software tools.

Frankly, I see no problem with the fact that an auto reboot occurred after running this tool....IMO, the reboot is part of the attempted malware removal process.

Louis

#4 FrostytheDragon

FrostytheDragon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

I agree with the advice here. Don't use XP online. Good article here for upgrading: http://www.zdnet.com/article/seven-perfectly-legal-ways-to-get-windows-7-cheap-or-even-free/

I have an old dinosaur XP which still works very well but I don't use it online. I have also Windows 7 and 8 machines. Hope you get it worked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users