Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem when changing screen resolution

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:58 AM

I've been helping my neighbor install Avast antivirus on her Windows 8.1 Acer computer.

She is using a Vizio HDMI television for a monitor with the video output of the computer connected to the HDMI input. With the screen resolution set to 1280 x 720 the screen looks correct as far as aspect ratio, etc. However, when attempting to open the Windows Defender App, I get a message telling me that the screen resolution is too low and the program will not open.

I right-clicked on the desktop and clicked Screen Resolution and set the resolution to the recommended value of 1920 x 1080. However, when I did this the screen content expanded and the icons on the left side and the taskbar on the right side were off of the screen. This is the opposite of what I would have expected; I would have thought that with the higher resolution that the screen contents would shrink since the same number of pixels would now appear to be compressed together. How can we increase the screen resolution and keep all of the screen contents visible?

(I use Windows 7 on my own computer, so I'm not all that familiar with Windows 8.1)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

What resolutions does the television support?  720p would be 1280x720 and 1080p would be 1920x1080.  I'm guessing that the TV is only 720p and that is why you are seeing what you see.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

Kilroy,

Good suggestion. I will check this. I will also check to see if her HDMI television / monitor has a VGA input. Maybe using that would solve the problem.

Why would an app refuse to run just because the screen resolution is too low? Internet Explorer, the Control Panel, and other apps seem to work okay. I got this problem when trying to run the Windows Defender app, but my neighbor said that she has seen the same problem when trying to run some other apps as well.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

Changing to VGA isn't going to fix the issue if the display doesn't support the resolution.  The software checks the resolution and won't run if it is lower than X.  Nothing will fix the problem until you meet the resolution requirement.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:22 AM

Windows generally defaults to your monitor’s native resolution, but many PC games will often default to lower resolutions.Be sure your computer's display screen resolution is set to match your LCD panel's maximum native resolution. When this is done, your LCD panel will perform exactly as it was engineered. As an LCD consists of a fixed raster, it cannot change resolution to match the signal being displayed as a CRT monitor can, meaning that optimal display quality can be reached only when the signal input matches the native resolution

Posted Image

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

Guys,

Thanks for the additional info. My neighbor will not be available to do any more troubleshooting until Tuesday, but I'm going to continue to pursue your suggestions above until I get it resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users