Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TJP89

TJP89

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

Hi guys. I am currently looking for a new laptop for college/personal. I've been looking for a few months, and have pretty much narrowed down my specs and required options.

15.6 in. touchscreen.

DVD/CD drive.

6th gen i5 or A10 processor. (or higher)

Bluetooth

Win 10

I'd prefer a full HD screen and a backlight keyboard, but not deal-breakers as the above stuff is. I may do some gaming, but definitely not the primary purpose here, so as long as the graphics card is adequate, I'm happy.

With these specs, I have narrow options. I have a $500 budget. However, I found what seems to be a perfect fit.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Inspiron-15-i5559-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.333089700

This has all the things I want, and is in budget. The thing that is making me hesitate is the reviews. About 50% love it, but the other 50% all detail catastrophic failures. I looked up the whole Dell I5 line, and the same reviews persist.

My question is whether this model has known problems, or whether these reviews are something to scrap the model on. I haven't found anything really comparable, so I'd like to know what you all think about this model.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Inspiron-15-i5559-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.333089700

This has all the things I want, and is in budget. The thing that is making me hesitate is the reviews. About 50% love it, but the other 50% all detail catastrophic failures. I looked up the whole Dell I5 line, and the same reviews persist.

My question is whether this model has known problems, or whether these reviews are something to scrap the model on. I haven't found anything really comparable, so I'd like to know what you all think about this model.

Half the complaints seem to be that it's slow. Reading into it their problems are either them loading loads of extra background software, or is related to the fact that the laptop uses a mechanical drive instead of a SSD- which you won't find one using in your price range anyways. 

When you use a touch device, instant response is very important. Using a mechanical drive adds a little bit of lag to everything. Meaning no matter how fast the CPU is, it's going to feel slow. There is a reason why tablets exclusively use SSDs, and that's it. 

Basically, half these people are complaining about something that is either their fault, or a combination of their impatience/unwillingness to get a touch device that has a SSD in it. 

The other half do have legitimate concerns, but even a good chunk of those seem like problems that have been solved through windows updates (keep your devices up to date people).  Once you remove all those people, you get the standard hardware problems any device might have (no device is 100% reliable). Only a few of the hardware problems (IE physical buttons not working) are a real concern, but most are unrelated for what the part in question is (makes me think it's not a particular fail point or anything, just maybe not so good quality assurance).

In essence, I think these people are trying to compare the 500$ windows laptop, to a 2500$ macbook and expecting the same performance.....which can be done for less then 2500$ on a windows machine (much much less), but not 500$. 

Edited by SEANIA, 28 June 2016 - 01:50 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

Were there any close possibilities made by Toshiba, HP, Asus, Acer?

Edited by RolandJS, 28 June 2016 - 02:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

Were there any close possibilities made by Toshiba, HP, Asus, Acer?

Did you look at the other brands? 

A 1080p screen is something rarely, if ever, put into a sub 500$ laptop. In fact half way through reading their post. I was thinking of a way to tell them that what they want doesn't exist. Of course I would've double checked, but still. Am personally amazed they found that. The only reason it even costs 500$ is because it's marked down to it from 750$. The closest thing I could find was this, but it's running a 5th gen i5 instead of the 6th gen he wants. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

One of my two Acers is 1080i, costing a bit more than $750 2-3 years ago, hardware and software.  

Edited by RolandJS, 28 June 2016 - 04:46 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 TJP89

TJP89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

OK, thanks. I see alot of people complaining that a cheap computer isn't performing like an expensive one. My favorite was some guy complaining that his new laptop was slow when he hooked it up to dial-up. I know that the computer will not perform like a $1500 one, but there are features that I want in a certain price point. I am moving away from this one for other reasons though. I think that I will not really need the full HD, and it will strain the pathetic graphics card anyway. The touchscreen is proving harder though.

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

I think that I will not really need the full HD, and it will strain the pathetic graphics card anyway. The touchscreen is proving harder though.

It wouldn't, and worst case scenario you just run whatever game you're trying to play at a lower resolution. 1080p has long been a thing for PCs. In fact, even 4k content isn't much of an issue anymore. The newer lines of Intel's entry level CPUs come equipped with the things necessary to handle 4k video. So you can buy a cheap-o 250$-300$ "laptop" that can do 4k video playback. 1080p is.....nothing comparatively. I hook up my much weaker laptop up to a secondary 1080p screen all the time to do stuff on, and the GPU power of it has never been an issue. 

Also can't really strain a graphics card. It's not like a engine where running it at 90% its max load all the time will kill it.  

Edited by SEANIA, 01 July 2016 - 04:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users