Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difficulty when changing screen resolution.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

I've been helping my neighbor install Avast antivirus on her Windows 10 Acer computer. This machine was upgraded from Windows 8.1.

She is using a Vizio HDMI television for a monitor with the video output of the computer connected to the HDMI input. With the screen resolution set to 1280 x 720 the screen looks correct as far as aspect ratio, etc. However, when attempting to open the Windows Defender App, I get a message telling me that the screen resolution is too low and the program will not open.

I right-clicked on the desktop and clicked Screen Resolution and set the resolution to the recommended value of 1920 x 1080. However, when I did this the screen content expanded and the icons on the left side and the taskbar on the right side were off of the screen. This is the opposite of what I would have expected; I would have thought that with the higher resolution that the screen contents would shrink since the same number of pixels would now appear to be compressed together. How can we increase the screen resolution and keep all of the screen contents visible?

(I hope that this isn't a dumb question, but I don't run Windows 10 on my own computer, so I'm not all that familiar with it.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

Oops, Sorry...!!!

My neighbor told me that she had upgraded the machine to Windows 10, but when we checked the System Properties, the OS is listed as Windows 8.1. I will post this question on that forum.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

An amended topic has been raised in the Win 8 section, so this topic is closed. Kilroy's post has been moved to th Win 8 topic. The win 8 topic can be found here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618054/problem-when-changing-screen-resolution/

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 June 2016 - 05:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users