Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed please sound bug win10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 r390

r390

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

Hi all, first post here for last few months I've had issues with my sound stopping randomly,  When opening audio devices it hangs for maybe 10 seconds if not longer when it opens if I press test it gives error in picture I have deferred windows updates, reinstalled sound and graphics drivers countless times and done full wipe and fresh install win10 pro 64bit I also did another fresh install when upgrading to a ssd and the issue is still there it tends to happen after my computer goes in screen off  mode when left unattended but that's not always the case also while using it the only fix I find is to rollback driver every time or restart computer if anyone knows how to fix this your help would be much appreciated

PC Specs

Sabertooth 990fx rev 2.0

FX-8350

Dominator 16gb

msi r390x

Attached Files

Edited by r390, 23 June 2016 - 08:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:35 AM

Have you updated the BIOS to v 2501?
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 r390

r390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

The answer to that is yes and maybe no I am on v2501 but the date is different to the website if I remember correctly when flashing last time the link you gave is the the version I flashed but for whatever reason the date did not update I will flash again and see what happens

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:00 AM

If it says 2501, you don't need to try reflashing, OK?
Its been a while; but, many of the early video cards (especially ATI's) with HDMI used the same sound chip as the one on the system board and that caused all kinds of grief as the PC would constantly get confused about which one to use. If you are using audio through the HDMI or display port on the video card, try disabling the onboard audio in the BIOS. If you are using the speakers plugged into the system board, you may have an insoluble problem. Does the device manager show two audio devices?

#5 r390

r390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

Its been a while; but, many of the early video cards (especially ATI's) with HDMI used the same sound chip as the one on the system board and that caused all kinds of grief as the PC would constantly get confused about which one to use. If you are using audio through the HDMI or display port on the video card, try disabling the onboard audio in the BIOS. If you are using the speakers plugged into the system board, you may have an insoluble problem. Does the device manager show two audio devices?

lol already done as suspected the date had no change. I am currently using HDMI to tv for sound and video I would like to use the optical port but no matter what driver I have it does not output sound to my turtle beach elite 800 or my steel series wireless H and I did change default audio settings with zero effect I also read up about dolby digital live and installed it with no effect. having checked device manager again it seems maybe windows updates may have installed high definition audio device again would it be better to disable it rather than uninstall? I will disable in bios now and will update if the problem has gone or not thanks for your time much apperciated

#6 r390

r390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

right that did not work only amd driver in device manager sound has stopped again I've just woke pc up after 10min screen off any other idea's out there?

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:22 PM

Do WinKey+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
In the CMD window, type:
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1<enter>
devmgmt.msc<enter>

In the device manager, click View -> Show nonpresent devices.
Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
Right-click and uninstall every audio device that does not have Microsoft in its name especially if it is grayed out.
Reboot and pray a little.

#8 r390

r390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:15 AM

Do WinKey+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
In the CMD window, type:
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1<enter>
devmgmt.msc<enter>

In the device manager, click View -> Show nonpresent devices.
Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
Right-click and uninstall every audio device that does not have Microsoft in its name especially if it is grayed out.
Reboot and pray a little.

excellent thanks very much I found you could just go to device manager click view and show hidden devices I did it your way and that pesky high definition driver found its way back clicked remove rebooted and so far so good the system appears to be running a lot smoother having said that if the problem was to come back would my best solution be a new sound card after checking device manager again 

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

The set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 tells windows to show you every device it has ever detected since Windows was first installed; but, I should caution you that adding another sound card has the potential to make things worse, not better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users