Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the correct way to connect a laptop's adapter to the wall outlet?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yologirlll

yologirlll

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

I have a lenovo ideapad yoga 11s. I was wondering should I first plug in the ac adapter in the wall outlet and then connect it to the laptop or vise versa?

When the laptop is charged does it matter if I first unplug it from the outlet or from the laptop.

When I plug in the adapter theres a spark/arc, it happens when adapter is connected to the laptop when Im going to charge it, it also happens by itself when its not connected to the laptop. I connected other electronic devices on the same wall outlet and they dont cause a spark.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:52 AM

In general, it shouldn't really matter which order you connect or disconnect; but, the spark you describe is a little worrisome.
Back in the dark ages (1970's), power supplies did not have "inrush protection" circuitry and they would use a huge amount of electricity when you turned them on (as in some of them would make the lights go dim for a fraction of a second!)
Because of your issue, I might plug the adapter into the wall before I plugged it into the Lenovo to let the voltage stabilize. Don't worry about the order of unplugging; though.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 yologirlll

yologirlll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

In general, it shouldn't really matter which order you connect or disconnect; but, the spark you describe is a little worrisome.
Back in the dark ages (1970's), power supplies did not have "inrush protection" circuitry and they would use a huge amount of electricity when you turned them on (as in some of them would make the lights go dim for a fraction of a second!)
Because of your issue, I might plug the adapter into the wall before I plugged it into the Lenovo to let the voltage stabilize. Don't worry about the order of unplugging; though.

Thanks

I forgot to ask, every time after I'm done charging my laptop I see green liquid/ooze. I think it originates from the brick but Im not sure. The amount is very small it doesnt drip or anything. Its been like this for a year. I dont know if this is a fire hazard or something. Its been happenng for so long that Im used to it. Maybe this is normal

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

If that "oooze" is coming from the ac adapter, look up the manufacturer's laptop and ac adapter specs, buy one exactly as described.  I would not want an increasingly faulty ac adapter causing problems with the laptop.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

You need to do something like carefully setting both on a clean sheet of paper and letting the ooze appear so you know which one its coming from!  If it is the charger, replace it.  They ought to be cheap off of EBay; but, make sure it says genuine Lenovo, the Chinese have gotten into the adapter biz and many of their chargers are pure crud.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:22 AM

Have the wall outlet switched off when you plug the adapter in, the contacts in the switch are designed to deal with any arc that may occur at switch on or off.

every time after I'm done charging my laptop I see green liquid/ooze.

Where do you see this? You would be able to confirm its origin by wiping it away and observing where it appears from. Some plastics can have a chemical reaction that produces a liquid weep, presumably due to a manufacturing error. That liquid is a skin and eye irritant, at least one model of TV was recalled a while back in Australia because the cabinet back had the problem.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

"Have the wall outlet switched off when you plug the adapter in, the contacts in the switch are designed to deal with any arc that may occur at switch on or off..."  -- great advice!

Go to Ace Hardware or anything similar, buy an ac ON/OFF toggle or rocker switch, plug that into the wall socket or into your UPS or surge protector.  With the switch off, plug ac adapter into said switch.  From now on, only plug ac adapter into the switch when the switch is in off position.  After inserting the other end into the laptop, turn on switch.  And to avoid "vampire electricity,"  turn switch off when laptop's not being used or not being charged.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 June 2016 - 07:29 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 yologirlll

yologirlll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

Thanks.

Is it a good idea to leave the adapter plugged in the wall outlet all the time?

I want to leave it there all the time, I'll connect it to the laptop when I need to charge it. The reason being is to avoid sparks/arcs that occur whenever I plug in the adapter to the wall outlet. 

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

No problem!  I do recommend having an ac on/off toggle switch between wall socket and ac adapter's prongs.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:16 PM

I have to use two power strips, one for the "bricks" and one for the regular plugs.  Those bricks aren't called "vampires" for nothing, best they be unplugged or powered down when not in use.  Loads of energy lost by all those billions of bricks in wall sockets that are not in current use.

#11 yologirlll

yologirlll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

Is it ok to plug my laptop's ac adapter into a cord and plug that cord into the wall outlet to avoid sparks/arcs?

I dont have a surge protector or power strip, I plug in the adapter to a cord and plug that cord into the wall outlet? The cord has a plug and an outlet, its to protect the adapter from any sparks, can the cord be somewhat of a replacement for a surge protector

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

It's common and normal for a spark to occur when you plug in a switching power supply due to the sudden pulse of current needed to charge the reservoir capacitor on its input. It's not something the adapter needs to be protected from, and a surge protector doesn't protect against a contact spark. You can certainly run the adapter through an extension lead, but if there's going to be a contact spark when you plug that lead in, it will still happen, just on the extension plug.

Reading suggests that in the US and other low voltage distribution areas it's unusual for outlets to have individual switches. If this is your situation, what we're suggesting is not costly, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Individually-Controlled-TLP76MSG/dp/B0068LACFI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41MLzu%2Bj9PL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR112%2C160_&refRID=5MBVVV8M4G1R67DG3J11

Having individual switches means you can turn off what you are not using at any given time without having to continually plug and unplug things, and when sparks happen they occur in the switch which is designed to handle it and you don't notice it.

#13 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

Still waiting to hear where the " ooze " is coming from ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#14 yologirlll

yologirlll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:43 PM

Still waiting to hear where the " ooze " is coming from ?

its where the adapter and its cord that connects to the laptop meet, its been like this for months. Its green in color. I think it comes from inside the brick

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,480 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:18 AM

Green often indicates copper tarnishing - it's possible that something is affecting the copper braid in the cable, but since the adapters are always sealed up, the only way to get in and find out the cause is to break it open, which of course isn't much good for it... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users