Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Wifi connected but no internet connection.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maha2804

maha2804

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

Hi,

I have this problem quite frequently. And when I searched Google regarding this issue, I found a lot of discussions and solutions but none seemed to give me a permanent fix.

Issue:
Wifi is connected to a network but no internet access. This happens quite frequently. Out of 10 cases, 6 cases is connected but no internet access. During this issue, my other devices connect to the wifi network and internet just fine.

System config:
OS Win10
Wifi adapter Qualcomm Atheros AR9285
Wifi modem TPLink MR 3220
Wireless Security WPA/WPA2 - Personal

Steps taken:

I have done all the network troubleshoots that comes with Windows 10.
Initially when the issue started occurring very often when I upgraded to Windows 10. I changed the settings in Power management(turn off wifi) and it helped the situation to get better but not completely.
I have installed the latest WiFi driver(10.0.0.329) for the adapter compatible with Win10.
Bonjour service has been stopped.
Windows firewall has been stopped. Don't have any antivirus or other firewalls installed.
The above steps did make the number of time the issue occur to come down, but the issue still persists.
On further troubleshooting I noticed, the issue only persists when ,in Network and Sharing center, the network fails to identify itself. So changed the settings for the network to be a private network, and that helped a lot.
So whenever, my network gets identified as a Private network, my internet works just fine. But Win10 takes a lot of time identify the network and in 40% of the time just labels it Unidentified and Public and my internet doesn't work.
I also identified that sometimes when the network is private, suddenly the network switches itself back to a public network and then no internet access.
I have tried adding the ip of my modem as the default Gateway ip in the Wifi settings.

So, to summarise I need to know why Windows 10 doesnt recognise my network and if it does why does it switch back to Public or unindentified network.
Why does internet stops working when connected to a network classified as Public or Unidentified network.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:22 PM

have ya tried.

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconifg /release

ipconfig /renew

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 maha2804

maha2804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:45 PM

have ya tried.

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconifg /release

ipconfig /renew

Yes I have tried. But renew command either takes a lot of time or hangs. I also noticed that when my wifi is working, the network suddenly switches to autoconfig IP.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:04 PM

@echo off
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log  
echo You now have to reboot your PC!   
pause

Copy and paste that into a notepad file and save it as .bat then run it and see if that has resolved the conflict.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users