Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing path of printserver for specific machine from client?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to change the printserver path on a client machine? (not the server)

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

What do you mean? Can't that machine just access the print server directly, install the printer, and print? For example, at work, the client access \\print which lists all the printers currently available on the print server, and install the ones he needs.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

I mean I want to change the printserver path for a specific printer on the client.

I'm adding a new printserver and want to check from the client side that changing my alias path will work, without potentially hosing the whole company's printing capability.

Edited by TsVk!, 22 June 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

How do you install your printers on your client?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

With an application my analyst wrote. I already considered changing the path in there and re-installing the device, but that mean the new drivers would be called from the new printserver.

That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

My plan is just to change the printserver alias, but I need to test it... and the best way I can figure is by changing the server path on the specific devices on a single machine.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

Looks like a complicated solution to a simple problem :P Here, maybe this will help you?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755141(v=ws.11).aspx

unite_blue.png

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:34 PM

Nah, the old printserver is 2003 and is being deprecated. I've already started installing the new printers on the new server... I just want to test the new system without the possibility of downtime.

I'm sure there must be a way to change this in the registry, if there isn't a GUI interface to do it.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

I can ask one of my SysAdmins tomorrow at work, though I don't know if he'll know the answer as we might be using a setup different than yours :P

unite_blue.png

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:21 PM

Thanks, it's a pretty curious thing to do I know.

If we weren't 24/7 uptime requirement until January I'd just change it after everyone had gone home and then test it. (which would be how it's normally done).... Bah.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

Welp, my SysAnalyst took a day off today to start his first week of vacation.

You said that you could modify the path directly in the program your Analyst wrote, right? Can't you check where that program writes the printserver path value from there?

Edited by Aura, 23 June 2016 - 12:10 PM.

unite_blue.png

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, I checked that yesterday... It's using system32.exe to add data to printui.dll, not what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking now that I'll finish the new configuration and just let it roll. If it breaks I can swap it back at a moments notice, it's only a dns entry.

Should have done this last month. :whistle: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users