Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A silly heated arguement with my fiance.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

My finace had a very long silly heated arguement about her wall cell phone charger.  she was trying to tell me that the wall sockets in the kitcen charge her phone faster then the one in the living room.  i told her she was wrong the unless it was a outlet wired for a particular appliance like a stove (and a charger wouldnt go in one anyway) the apt would have standard wiring throughout.  she told me to kiss her butt, im wrong that she knows what she knows, and i told her unless she hooks up the phone to a pc usb which is super slow there would be no change in speed.  settle this for me please someone.  I found few sites that said all charger are created equal.  one did site did some talk about charger and volts.  thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

USB has 4-5 small cables in it, data. and power, USB requires at least 5V. 10/10 wall outlets are 110V

and some USB chargers contain 2 ports, one with less wattage then the other.

But no ALL outlets are the same 110v, if its charging slower, a capacitor in the charger is going bad.

If single USB charger No.

If multi Maybe.

if in doubt, pull out the multi-meter :)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

I agree with Viper. However, this seems a silly argument to me. I would simply let it rest :)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

thanks and yes it was silly but she woudnt let it go...lol.  thanks Butterfly and Mr. Viper, guess ill whip out the voltage meter and test all the wall sockets.

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 23 June 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

Use low tech and put a kitchen timer on the charger in each outlet. To track the charge time both outlets. Make sure that the same parameters such and amount of charge is remaining. Whether the phone is off or even used and or getting calls/or texts while charging. :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:33 PM

@OP
to clarify a bit, Viper is suggesting measuring the DC power coming out of the charger rather than the wall socket I think... It's probably safer that way too. Of course, the method @Animal suggested is a good one too :)

#7 FrostytheDragon

FrostytheDragon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:57 PM

Pssst... She may be right. Even if she isn't, kiss and make up. I always love that part. http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/what-is-the-actual-household-voltage-110-115-120-220-240.3320/

Not all circuits are created equal.

Edited by FrostytheDragon, 23 June 2016 - 11:59 PM.

#8 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

Very cool Mr Frosty, relationship advice with tech help to boot, I think you might have something there.  thank you I like the mingling of to my world like that.  and no, I wasn't being sarcastic.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

If she's RIGHT, you're wrong.  If she's WRONG, you're wrong.

If you're RIGHT, she's right and you're still wrong.  If you're WRONG, she's right and you're still wrong.

-- Roland Dangerfield

I thought the original topic was the wall sockets, then the topic got morphed into including the cell phone chargers.

Whatever the voltage readings, whatever the charging time readings -- keep the info in your head, speak no more about it   :)  -- rather, laugh together over it, and build that wonderful relationship that will last forever!

Edited by RolandJS, 24 June 2016 - 07:24 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

@RJS

Exactly. I only agreed with methods to check voltage so OP could satisfy his personal curiosity. The readings should be kept quiet ;)

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

I'm going to borrow some, and alter it a little, from an excellent tech and a great person

Family and loved ones should always be a priority in our daily lives.

One will never know when a family member, or a loved one, will leave this earth.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 June 2016 - 09:48 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:25 AM

How much faster...seconds...minutes...hour or more? The hour or more speed difference could be explained by the living room

outlet could be controlled by a wall switch.

Then there is the case for gremlins...

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

You all are to awesome, but i think post is getting bit out of hand before Dr. Joyce Brothers let out her inner nerd we never send, and close the post...lol  Hugz and love to everybody!!!

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:22 AM

Laughter is the best medicine.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:08 AM

"You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect....."

Laughter is the best medicine.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users