Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Passport 07A8 USB Device Not Initialized

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Radevic

Radevic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

My WD Passport removable external hard drive of 1TB failed to initialize when I plug in its cable. This drive contains all my disc images. About 275 GB free of the total capacity. The drive appears in device manager as well as Computer Management in Disk Management. It is indicated as Disk 1 Unknown, Not Initialized. When I right click to initialize it and click the OK button, it reported a red X circular icon with the following text message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I have an idea of the genesis of the problem because the disk fell when I was trying to eject it from the system this evening 22nd of June 2016 in my office, although the fall is not that high of a distance. Please how and what can I do to get the drive Initialized. I need urgent help to solve the problem please. Thank you all. This is my first post since I signed up with this site or forum. Please pardon me for any inadequacies if there is any.

Radevic
Lagos - Nigeria.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

I believe the hard drive has failed. Passports, if the portable, do not need much of a drop to break, especially if the drive was spinning during the drop. 

Another issue with the passports is the USB bridge card is integrated into the drive's PCB which prevents the removal of the drive and placing it into an enclosure or using a USB adapter.

Have you tried another USB cable? If a different cable does not work I am afraid you are looking at using a professional data recovery service which is not cheap. It depends on how important this data is but the cost can be $800 and up.

Your location is Nigeria but DriveSavers is one of the better recovery services.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 June 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:17 PM

"...Not Initialized. When I right click to initialize it..."  -- Radvec

In a strange way, that process might come in handy later;  here's a snippit quote:  "...initialization...[is a]...high level format basically clears the drive by zeroing the data that keeps track of where all the data is on the drive. The data is still there (until you write over it), but since the drive's table of contents shows nothing in there it behaves like a blank drive..."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/what-does-initialization-do-to-a-hard-disk/4c01e30c-37fb-4884-b124-ac2d59078008?auth=1

Follow JohnC's lead, he won't steer you wrong!

Edited by RolandJS, 25 June 2016 - 05:19 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users