Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard hanging crash under specific loads

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clayton615

Clayton615

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

I built my first gaming rig a year ago. I think I finished around February 2015, but I can't remeber exactly. It had Linux at first, (hooray free) then I bought 8.1 to put on it. Everything seemed fine and it played even the most demanding games fairly well. Farcry 4 is important here, it played it no problem. When summer came it started crashing during some games including Farcry. It gets rather warm here, so I assumed it was overheating. But not all games would crash it, and while I'm not certain how demanding each game is exactly, games that seemed in the same league still played fine. I ended up watercooling my system, but the crash remained. Winter 2015 comes and the crash remains. So I rule out heat. I check my RAM, I run CPU stress tests, I play more games. DayZ - crash, Metal Gear V -  no crash, Fallout 4 - crash. I do some gaming on Linux to test if it's Windows related. Bound by Flame - crash, Metro Last Light - crash. So now I'm feeling like it must be hardware. I was doing some cleaning and installing better fans. I had the RAM out for a bit too. All of the sudden the crash is gone. I'm thinking, maybe a RAM stick wasn't seated perfectly? But now, a few months later, my crash is back, and affecting a new title it never bothered before. Minecraft (modded mind you and a little more taxing than vanilla Minecraft) I'm at my wits end. Any advice guys?

Edit: I should describe the crash... It doesn't BSOD. It just hangs, the video stuck, the audio holding whatever sound was playing in an annoying "ERRRRRRRRRR" sound. I checked my crash logs with BlueScreenView, and I have a few but none matching the times of my hangs. For instance, I crashed several times last night and my most recent log is from April.

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? Linux, and Win 10 at present
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
· What was original installed OS on system? None, but I installed Ubuntu first
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? OEM (upgraded form 8.1)
· Age of system (hardware) A year? year and a half?
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Win10 is about 6 months old, linux has been here since the beginning.

· CPU AMD FX-9590
· Video Card Asus AMD R9 290x
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop) EVGA Supernova 1300 G2

· System Manufacturer Me, mostly Asus parts, some others.
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) Uh, don't have one?

· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

Also, perfmon does nothing. It just says "Collecting data for 60 seconds...". I let it run for 600 seconds, just to be sure.

Attached Files

Edited by Clayton615, 22 June 2016 - 05:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slacker9701

slacker9701

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

My thought to the problem is the CPU/Motherboard combination.

You have a CPU that has a 220W TDP in a motherboard that really only supports up to 140W TDP.  Obviously the CPU works with the motherboard but overtime that additional TDP from the CPU will wear down the board components quicker than normal.  If it was me and given that you are already liquid cooling, I would be looking for a motherboard that truly supports the 220W TDP. 

This is from ASUS, in regards to the CPU/MB combo: Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU…   

#3 Clayton615

Clayton615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

Oh... I never considered that Wattage was an issue, I just saw that the socket was correct and assumed since it was the best Asus MB I could find for AMD it would work... Any way I can test this before dropping money on a new MB?

#4 slacker9701

slacker9701

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:36 PM

I don’t know of any particular way to test it, but I would ask over in the “Internal Hardware” section and see if they have any ideas/thoughts. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users