Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista machine taking a lot of time to start after running a R script

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:17 PM

Hi Guys,

This is Viral. I am using an Acer laptop model ASPIRE 4736 since the last seven years. There haven't been much issues with it. except for the battery and that's it. But recently, when I was learn R programming, I ran a script accidentally( Copy Paste) which was meant for a octacore processor  on a Core 2 Duo processor(2.2 Ghz, 800 MHz FSB). The function was basically stop all the computing functions of the machine and give the script the whole processor to run to analyse the data. I had to make some changes in the code to fit my Core 2 Duo processor but I just Copy Pasted the code and it ran successfully. But, after that, my machine takes a lot of time to start and has become really slow. I have already stopped that code and ran Glary Utilities as well as cleared the registry using CC cleaner but none of them helps. My Chrome browser is also not working properly and also Google has stopped giving out updates for Chrome browser. Everything takes a lot of time to start considering the machine as well. It takes almost 7-10 mins for the machine to start and then 2-3 mins for the browser to open and this is creating a lot of problems. I don't know what to do in this case or is my machine permanently screwed. There's already a heating issue which I solved by buying a coolpad but now this new issue. I don't want to upgrade to a new laptop as I already have a office laptop which is really fast. I tried disabling some processes which weren't required during start process but that dint help as well. Please help me out with this issue as I really can't working on such a slow machine with the browser also causing a lot of problems. Whatever details that you require, just let me know and I would help you out with it. Please help.

My machine info 

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHZ
Memory - 3 GB

System type - 32 bit operating system

Windows Vista Home Premium

Edited by viralbhuptani, 22 June 2016 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

Do you have a Restore Point before the script was run? If you placed any files on the desktop after the Restore Date move them to the Documents folder.

#3 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

Hey JohnC_21,

Thank you for the reply.

I don't remember about having a restore point before the script was run. Is there a way to check it and is there any other way to fix this issue?

I am willing to experiment with anything that can fix this issue

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

Tap F8 at boot. At the Advance Boot Options menu select Repair Computer > System Restore. If you have any restore points it will list them and the date.

Edit: If you do not have this option on F8 then you can type System Restore in the Search Box of Vista. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#5 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hey JohnC_21,

I found the system restore point from the Accessories page and did try a couple of them. But unfortunately, none of them were before the script was ran and hence there was no improvement. In fact, the system has gotten more slower and takes like 15 minutes to start now. Now the new problem is that once I start my system again, after entering the system password, the laptop processes it and I now see the black screen with the mouse cursor. It doesn't show anything else. Tried restarting my laptop a few times, but I still see the black screen and nothing after it. This is a serious issue and now I cannot use my laptop at all John. Please help me asap as I have my university documents saved on it and need them in a week to apply for my Masters. Please help me John as that black screen looks like a screen of death. What to do now?

#6 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

Hey JohnC_21,

I fixed the black screen issue using the following steps:

1. UNPLUG THE POWER 

2. REMOVE BATTERY 
3. HOLD POWER BUTTON FOR 30/60 SECONDS 
4. REATTACH POWER AND START THE LAPTOP 
5. SHUT BACK DOWN 
6. PUT IN THE BATTERY 
7. THATS IT 

That has fixed my start issue. But, the main issue still remains. My laptop now takes like 15 mins to start. Once I enter the password, there's black screen which takes almost a few mins to go away for the main screen to come up. Then I can operate my laptop but everything is really really slow. I open Chrome and it takes more than 40 seconds to open up and then when i try to open up a website, it starts hanging for a while and than give suggestions and most of the times it becomes unresponsive and asks me to kill pages and after that, the pages load. Everything is working really really slow and its hanging all the time and then reacts after that. Please help me John with this issue. It's really impossible to work on my laptop with this pace. It's killing me and my time

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

Sorry, I missed your post. What you did to bring the computer out of a black screen was a powercycle. That was nice troubleshootiing. 

I would download UBCD. If you have access to another computer burn the iso of UBCD to disk on it otherwise you will need to do it on the problem computer. Boot the disk. On the menu screen you will see Parted Magic. Boot to the Parted Magic desktop. On the desktop will be an icon called Disk Health or GsmartControl. Click on it and run the short and long tests. 

If the hard drive passes exit out of Parted Magic and do a memory test using Memtest86+. Let it run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. 

If you notice a severe slowdown using the UBCD disk and PartedMagic then you are dealing with a hardware issue.

If you notice no slowdown and both the hard drive and memory passes you may want to consider doing a factory reset or even look at installing a different OS such as linux which has R-Studio. If your hard drive has a OEM recovery partition you can easily do a factory reset but you will need to backup all personal data and reinstall your programs.

.https://www.rstudio.com/products/RStudio/#Desktop 

R studio on Ubuntu

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 June 2016 - 04:34 PM.

#8 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

Hey John_C,

As per your instructions, I have downloaded it and have put it on the CD . Now I have restarted the computer and have selected the parted magic .
But it's been like almost 8 hours that the pmagic is loading and it was aborted in the middle on its own. Then it restarted after like 4 hours and then its going on till 3 hours. I will keep my laptop running but could you please tell me how much time does it take and was there a problem that the program was aborted in the middle.
I was about to share the screenshot of the my screen to describe the exact events

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

This is not normal. Parted Magic should boot up in minutes. There may be a problem with the optical drive or your computer has some other hardware issue. UBCD and Parted Magic run in RAM and off the media which takes the hard drive out of the equation. 

You can try with a USB flash drive and Rufus. If you get the same problem then I would say your computer has some serious hardware issues that would need to be diagnosed at a shop.

Before trying the USB flash drive using Rufus, can you run a memory test? This is available on the initial UBCD Memory menu. Use Memtest86+ and run it for at least 6 passes. 

There are also HDD diagnostic tools available outside of Parted Magic but I do not know if they will detect your SATA hard drive. One would be Seatools for DOS available under the HDD menu of UBCD.

If you cannot get these tools to load then try a USB flash drive using Rufus.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

Please try below troubleshooting steps.

1. Boot your computer into Safe Mode if the issue resolves within Safe Mode then one of the startup programs or services causing the issue perform a clean boot to find out which startup program causing the issue.

2. Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Sfc /Scannow command and press Enter key to repair any damage Windows system files.

3. Type Chkdsk C: /f  command to repair C: partition NTFS file system errors.

4. Check the Event Viewer for any error or warning logs that may give you clue what is causing the issue.

5. Windows System Repair Disc can be created containing the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) i recommend creating a Windows Repair Disc to anybody without a Windows OS installation DVD.

Create a Windows Vista System Repair Disc

The Service Pack 1 must be install to create a Windows System Repair Disc from Windows Vista.
Program that creates a Windows System Repair Disc can be started from "Start Menu --> All Programs --> Maintenance --> Create a Recovery Disc". Follow the instructions to create a Windows System Repair Disk you will need either a blank CD or DVD.

Boot your computer with Windows System Repair Disc and open Command Prompt type below commands one at time to restore registry hives from Windows created backup.

Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SAM        SAM.BAK
Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM     SYSTEM.BAK
Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SECURITY   SECURITY.BAK
Ren C:\windows\system32\config\DEFAULT    DEFAULT.BAK
Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE   SOFTWARE.BAK

Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM        C:\windows\system32\config
Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM     C:\windows\system32\config
Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY   C:\windows\system32\config
Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT    C:\windows\system32\config
Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE   C:\windows\system32\config

This procedure assumes that Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 is installed to the C:\ partition. Make sure to replace C:\ drive letter to the appropriate Windows OS installed partition drive letter if it is a different location.When computer boots into WinRE environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

After replacing registry hives with backup hives some programs may not work correctly you may need to reinstall any program that is not working.

Posted Image

#11 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

Hey John_C,

I stopped the Parted magic and ran the Memtest86+ and it passed all the 6 tests without any error. I couldn't find the Seatools for DOS available under the HDD menu of UBCD and hence I dint run it. Now, I want to use the Rufus but the laptop is now not willing to start. It takes a lot of time to and then I try to restart again and it gives me the Startup repair option which also takes like a lot of time to start. Please tell me what to do now. I tried starting in the safe mode but its stuck at the screen whose screenshot I have attached. The health of my laptop is deteriorating and its almost giving up. Please recommend something. I have attached both the screenshots. I am willing to do any test possible which brings my laptop back to normal. Changing the OS, anything. please help. I would just require my files to be saved on the drive.that's it so that I can use them.

Attached Files

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

At the UBCD menu should be a HDD listing. Under HDD should be HDD/Diagnosis. That should be where Seatools for Dos is listed. I am betting the hard drive is failing or it could be a overheating issue.

I am not sure why Parted Magic failed to load as that is running off of RAM unless your optical drive is also going bad.

Is the data on your hard drive backed up? If the hard drive has a recovery partition you could do a factory reset but all your programs installed and data would be gone. Is this an option for you? If you want to do a factory reset first enter BIOS and if there is a setting called d2d enable it. Then while booting the computer hold down the Alt key and tap F10. This should bring up the factory reset menu.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2631/~/using-recovery-management-outside-of-windows

If you are at the menu screen on the desktop you can also access factory reset under e recovery. 

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12869/~/how-do-i-restore-my-computer-using-the-erecovery-management-program%3F

If you do not have your data backed up or the drive checks bad and you cannot access Windows then on another computer download Rufus. Also download a Puppy Distro called Puppy Lucid which is very compatible with older hardware. Run Rufus. Make sure your flash drive is listed in the first dropdown box. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image, click the icon and browse to the iso of Puppy. Press start.  You may have to change the boot order in BIO to set USB as first boot device. We can use Puppy to copy over your files to a flash drive and then do the factory reset. You can also use the iso of UBCD with Rufus instead of Puppy linux.

#13 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

Hey John_C,

I used the following steps to find Seatools but can't find any. Please see the screenshots :

Clicked on HDD ---> Diagnosis ---> then what to click?  There are so many options

I don't have a backup of my files so I have use the Rufus . But before that , I will run the Seatools which I am unable to find. 

Also, whenever I am trying to start my system, it's loading but the Glary Utilities starts to run and that's where my laptop gets stuck

Attached Files

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

In the last image use the down arrow key to scroll to the bottom of the list. This should give you more options. I will boot my UBCD and see if Seatools is there. It may not find your hard drive. You would have to change your mode in bios from AHCI to IDE mode in settings before Seatools will see the drive.

#15 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hey John_C,

I scrolled down and found the Seatools option. I don't know how to change the mode in BIOS from AHCI to IDE but I continued with the default mode and ran a long test but it failed in 2 hours 10 mins due to the following reason: The drive is not responding to the following commands: Check cables and drive power connection. I have attached the screenshot as well. Is this a serious issue?

Also,whenever I am trying to reboot normally, Glary Utility BootDefrag starts running automatically and that's where my laptop gets stuck. Could you please help me to avoid that. I have attached the screenshot of this as well

What are the next steps that I need to follow? 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users