Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7Zip and Cannot create output file - stumping an IT professional of 15 years

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gingaaar

Gingaaar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hi All.

15 years IT experience here but stuck on this problem.

Doubt anyone can help, but negativity aside, Ive signed up to this forum to ask.

Google, in this case, is not my friend! Ive googled everything I can fine.

Here is the issue.

I have an Acer Iconia W3 810 tablet

Acer, In their **** (blasted) Wisdom had something wrong with the bios that stops the battery charging.

This was fixed in bios version 1.5

Iupdated to bios 1.7 , and so the battery does not charge.

I need to install bios 1.5

I installed 7 zip, opened the bios (which has 8 files) change one of the files to either ignore the bios version and flash or alternatively I drop in the 1.5 bin file into the archive.

I save the file, try to run it and get a cannot create output file error.

So basically if I run the bios file (its an exe - unzipped its about 8 different files) it works and tells me my bios is newer than the old one and wont flash.

If I edit the exe in 7zip it will not run, it cannot create output file.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR so angry.

Tried everything.

Googled like mad. no solution online.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

So to be clear, I need to run the 1.5 update to fix the battery charging issue. Because I bypassed this bios to the latest bios, this issue is not fixed.

I will never buy acer again.

#3 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

I change anything in the bios exe (via 7-zip) and it will not run. I get the error cannot create output file

#4 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

Just to add, I have read that I can extract exe files with 7-zip but I cant put the files 'back into the archive'.

Ive extracted the files, but as its a bios file, some instruction in the exe runs the bios with the appropriate flags.

In other words, I cant run the file when its extracted. If I could read the 'flags' from the exe file to be able to run the blasted bios update I could probably run it extracted into a folder.

Ive tried searching for the bios flashing program online and found one result which wasn't any help.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

Is the v1.5 available on-line to download?

Never mind I found it.

Edit: The command used by the upgrade program is this:

IsCapLar.exe /img:".\IsCapImg.bin" /ldr:".\IsCapLoader.efi" /gid:"FFD4675E-FF47-46D9-AC24-8B331F937737"

Edited by SleepyDude, 22 June 2016 - 03:11 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Hi,

Never mind I found it.

IsCapLar.exe /img:".\IsCapImg.bin" /ldr:".\IsCapLoader.efi" /gid:"FFD4675E-FF47-46D9-AC24-8B331F937737"

Hi and thanks for the reply, I love the fact that you have thrown something at me I havnt tried but I get nothing after typing this in, where normally I get an error telling me the correct syntax. Can you tell me where you get the GID from??? Confused by that one

#7 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

Never mind I found it.

Hi and thanks for the reply, I love the fact that you have thrown something at me I havnt tried but I get nothing after typing this in, where normally I get an error telling me the correct syntax. Can you tell me where you get the GID from??? Confused by that one

When I mean nothing, I mean I get no response at all from the tablet but thanks for looking at this

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

Hi,

Never mind I found it.

The command is inside the 7-Zip sfx file. Did you run the exe from the Command Prompt running as Administrator?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#9 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

Also tried with just

IsCapLar.exe /img:".\IsCapImg.bin"

and

IsCapLar.exe /img:".\IsCapImg.bin" /ldr:".\IsCapLoader.efi"

nothing, no response, no errors, nothing

#10 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

Never mind I found it.

The command is inside the 7-Zip sfx file. Did you run the exe from the Command Prompt running as Administrator?

I did, and I just tried running iscaplar.exe on its own in cmd which would normally give me the pop up telling me about flags and sytax, just restarted the tablet, going to try again

thanks for looking at this

#11 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

Ok restarted, tried it without the GID on the end and I get the pop up telling me to use the flags. When I add the GID at the end I get no pop up at all but the tablet does nothing, i.e. no reponse from the command line. Can you tell me where you get the GID from ? Thanks

#12 Gingaaar

Gingaaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

Just wanted to add this link http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets-and-Convertibles/iconia-w3-battery-activation-time/td-p/112523/page/8 which is unfortunate the download isn't working, would still love to know how he patched the bios. Thanks

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

Maybe the Package folder must exist as sub-folder!

The original command is:

.\Package\IsCapLar.exe /img:".\Package\IsCapImg.bin" /ldr:".\Package\IsCapLoader.efi" /gid:"FFD4675E-FF47-46D9-AC24-8B331F937737"

___
Rui

#14 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:36 PM

H

Just wanted to add this link http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets-and-Convertibles/iconia-w3-battery-activation-time/td-p/112523/page/8 which is unfortunate the download isn't working, would still love to know how he patched the bios. Thanks

He tells you how to patch it yourself in step 1a. Looks like you need to edit the platform.ini file and zip it back up.

If the link should go down, or if you wish to patch the BIOS yourself, download BIOS v1.0.0.5 by clicking HERE. You will need an archiving program as well. 7zip works well and is free; you can download it HERE. The rest of this step assumes 7zip is installed. Extract the files from the "BIOS_Acer_1.05_A_A" zip folder you just downloaded by right clicking it and selecting extract all, then open the folder containing those files (it will automatically open by default). Double click the folder within that. You should now see two files: "CHEETAH_BIOS_V1.05" and "Readme". Right click "CHEETAH_BIOS_V1.05", highlight "7zip", and click "open archive" from the drop down menu. In the 7zip window, double click "Package". Double click "platform.ini" to open it in Notepad. On the line below "Bios_Version_Check", it will read "Flag=1". Change the 1 to a 0. Two lines down is another "1"; change the 1 to a 0. two lines down is *another* "1"; change the 1 to a 0. Close the notepad window and click save when prompted. 7zip will prompt you to update it in the archive, click "OK". Close the 7zip window. Proceed to step 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users