Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

U.S. Senate one vote short of exploring online history

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

Apparently the Senate fell one vote short of giving the F.B.I. the authority to obtain infromation on computer users' internet search histories without having to honor the fourth amendment by getting a warrant or honoring the 5th amendments due process requirements.

I hope this is the right area for this.

What I want to know is what browers and search engines are the best at preventing tracking.

I currently alternate between Firefox 28 and Palemoon.

I use IXquick for searches

I am not asking because I have something to hide, I am asking because I want to have full enjoyment of my right to privacy.

Thank you.

Edited by johnmeehan, 22 June 2016 - 01:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

www.duckduckgo.com is a great search engine as well as www.thrall.org/lightswitch/general.html, i mainly use Ram session on my linux with iceweasel (firefox for linux).

worse come to worst you can always use a vpn.

I too enjoy my right to privacy :)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

If you feel really in need of privacy and anonymity use a VPN or tor, these are the methods you would need if you want to avoid your browsing being seen by ISPs, governments and such, it will also stop the sites you visit from knowing you IP address. Otherwise if it's just adverts and cookies you're worried about use firefox with cookies set to clear every time you close, an adblocker, a scriptblocker and maybe some of the other anti-cookie anti-tracking extensions available (I've heard of something called ghostery which I think is for this). Most tracking for advertising purposes is not done by IP address because a lot of people have an internet connection where there IP address changes regularly (dynamic IP address), so tracking by IP address could end up serving adverts to the next person to use an IP address rather than the person who has been tracked for the purposes of deciding which adverts to show them. When it comes to simply avoiding targeted adverts therefore erasing cookies and blocking some scripts is enough.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users