Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Turns On But Nothing Shows On The Moniter!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yiecianp

yiecianp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:03 AM

Like the title of this topic, my computer turns on but nothing shows up on the moniter. I'll have everything hooked up to the computer, I'll turn the computer on, but then nothing appears on the moniter. The moniter will be plugged into the computer but on the moniter it says that it isn't plugged in. I know next to nothing about computer hardware, so I am not sure if there might be a problem with the moniter hookup at the back of the tower. I know that the computer has some viruses on it so I want to know if maybe a virus could stop the computer from showing up on the moniter or not. If a virus can't do that, then is it the hookup??? Someone please help me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

Hi yiecianp,

Do you have another monitor you could borrow to test things out with?

but on the moniter it says that it isn't plugged in

What does this message say? And, when you power on the computer, does the floppy drive, and cd drive lights come on for a second? Any beeps?

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 yiecianp

yiecianp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:14 AM

I tried another moniter but that one didn't work either. The message just basically says that it isn't plugged into a computer. Like it would be the message that would come up if you just had the moniter plugged into an outlet and you turned it on. The computer does actually turn on. The light comes up and I can open the cd drive. I know for sure that it is nothing with the moniter since I've tried two of them and the two both work with my other computer. So once again, could a virus possibly cause this or could it be that something is wrong with the moniter connection in the back of the computer?

Edited by yiecianp, 19 August 2006 - 04:16 AM.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Welcome back yiecianp,

If you are not getting any screen activity, the thing to look for is any flashing lights or beep codes. At this time I am leaning to a bad system board or something not making a good connection in your computer. Try reseating the memory sticks and video card. Check to make sure all cables are plugged in and secure. Finally, check to make sure your cooling fans are spinning.

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users