Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media hard drive started vibrating after adding programs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jomamba

jomamba

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

I have an odd issue. My 2TB Seagate Barracuda has worked fine, and silently, for two years. It was exclusively used for storage of data and media, to accompany my 120GB SSD, but a week ago I moved some games to it because I was running out of space on the SSD. Since then I've noticed that the Seagate has started to vibrate. It's noticeable to the touch, but what alerted me to the change is that it's causing some panels of my case to hum. A constant, low-level but noticeable (to me) tone, which I assumed at first to be fan-related. I haven't changed anything else that I can think of, ie I'm almost certain it's not simply a mounting issue.

Very occasionally the vibration, along with the hum, will stop for a little while. I assume this is the drive spinning down when it's not in use. This makes me think that the 'idling' speed of the drive has increased since moving the games across, and the increased vibration frequency, or amplitude, has begun resonating with the case.

Is this possible? That just having programs on this drive has changed the speed at which it spins?

To be clear, the vibration is not any worse (or better) while running the games. It's a constant no matter what I'm doing on my PC (aside from the odd gaps as mentioned). SeaTools' Short Drive Self Test returned a Pass, but I'm wary of running further tests because of the risk of data-loss. The drive is working fine, as far as I know.

Thanks in advance,
Jo.

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2016 - 09:44 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

I have two 1TB Seagates, two WDs, two Toshibas, two from somewhere else, and I forgot which two vibrate, however, I have had no problems reading, writing, backing up, restoring -- yet.  I placed a couple of folded paper towels underneath the HDs, so that the vibrations will not travel to the laptop's table or to the laptop itself.  You know, I have noticed the vibrations come and go, seemingly according to how busy the laptop during backups.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not the only noticing the motions and testing periodically the drives.

I'm thinking about holding those two up to my neck and getting a free massage.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 June 2016 - 12:36 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:37 AM

Well, having more data on the drive makes it heavier, right?  :wink: Just kidding.

My guess (and it is a pure guess) is that the process of copying the games over took a little bit of time, which caused the drive to head up a bit more. That process caused some expansion (heat causes metal to expand). That expansion might have then caused some sort of slight change to the fit/location of some part(s). If so, that change might be enough to then create a greater possibility of a noticeable vibration (you drive when running will vibrate since it is a mechanical device with moving parts...the question is whether or not that vibration is noticeable to us).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users