Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble moving personal folders to HD - now some stuck on desktop

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hello

Yesterday I installed an SSD and cloned my HD to the SSD successfully. My problem came when trying to use my HD as my data drive. I followed some directions on lifehacker.com and tried moving my personal folders from c/drive to the HD, but each folder "moved" made the other one disappear. 

The HD has been formatted and there is one big partition now, and that's how I want it. 

I then tried following more directions to move the folders and somehow I have some on my desktop and they can't be moved or deleted. HELP! Please! :(

One Drive, Pictures, Videos, Documents, Music, Desktop, AppData all appear on my desktop now.... (I have not moved the actual data which resides on my external drive until I can get things cleaned up here.

I added a new folder to my HD and gave it my name (Cheryl) and it appears I have moved some of the folders into it: Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Google Drive, Links, My Documents, OneDrive, Tracing, and Cheryl (which I do not know what that is). I do NOT see my Contacts here and not sure if anything else is missing.

I may have moved some folders into other folders...not meaning too. :(

Please, if anyone knows how I can fix this, I need help ASAP. How do I fix what I have obviously messed up? 

Desperate...

Cheryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

You can safely move your personal folders to another location, whether on the same drive, or another drive, without affecting their link to key Windows features. However to do so properly, you need to follow the steps below:

1. Go to the relevant folder under your personal folders.
2. Right-click on it and select Properties, then go to the Location tab.
3. Click the Move button and specify a new folder and/or drive to move the current folder to. Alternatively you can just type the new path in the Target box. Note that I don't recommend entering just a drive letter by itself as this may cause problems. That is, don't just enter D: or F: in the location box for example - enter a full directory path and click the Apply button.
4. The folder and all of its files will be moved to the new location.

When you're done, Windows will now recognize the new location as the home of this particular personal folder, and all references to it throughout Windows 7, including in your Libraries and Search Indexing, should point correctly to this new location automatically. If necessary close and reopen Windows Explorer to see the updated references to the new folder. Use Restore Default button from Location tab to restore your user profile folder to  its default location.

To restore a folder to its original location
  1. Click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then click your user name.
  2. Right-click the folder that you previously redirected and want to restore to its original location, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click OK.

4. Click Yes to recreate the original folder, and then click Yes again to move all the files back to the original folder.

If you are joined to a homegroup, then you will need to temporarily change your homegroup settings to set the personal folder(s) (ex: Pictures) that you want to restore the default location of to Not shared first.

Edited by FreeBooter, 22 June 2016 - 01:12 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

Hi FreeBooter. My problem is that the Location tab is no longer available... and my username is no longer under the Users folder. 

What appears now under C/Users is Contacts (must have accidentally sent it here somehow) and under Contacts is AppData - Cheryl (which I just move there from previous version for now) - Documents - Indexed Locations.

When I try to move folder Cheryl (which is my username) to Users, it asks to merge with Contacts. I'm not sure I want to do that... ? And it gives no other option. Yes, I have really messed this up big time. :( 

I had already tried all the options you posted above... 

Here is how I found the Cheryl folder...But still not able to move into the Users folder where it belongs.

All you have to do is select the Properties of the drive on which your user profile was stored (C:\) and select the Previous versions tab, you will be able to see various backups of your data stored at specific times (yesterday, a week or a month ago), you can either select to Open, Copy orRestore the data.

#4 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

And I just tried your last step again, and it said folder cannot move because there is no redirect-able folder at the same path. Access is denied. :(

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hopefully this helps some,

Here is an easy way to fix the problem without using the locations tab. Just click the start button, right click documents, and then click the properties item. Under library locations, you will see the current location of your My Documents folder. The default save location is indicated by a check mark, which is normally c:\users\username\my documents .

Assuming you want to keep all your documents in a different location such as in D:\My Documents, start by creating the folder. Then click include folder, browse to D:\My Documents, and click Set Save Location. Then open your existing my documents folder select all, copy, and paste everything to D:\My Documents.

You can have multiple documents folder locations included but only one location is the default documents folder. Again that will be the one with the check mark. In Windows Explorer, click libraries and then click documents and you will see that all existing document folder locations are listed. This makes it much easier to search all your document locations at once. The libraries easily allow you to change default document folder to a network location or another drive and folder.

This same process works for video, music, and pictures folders as well. Enjoy!

See if that method works. :)

-ViperSec

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#6 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hi ViperSec

Thank you, that sounds easy, but upon trying I have a problem.Somehow when trying to move some folders earlier today by way of the Location tab, I ended up getting a bunch of them on my desktop. Some I was able to delete, but others will not be deleted or moved. I have an AppData folder that can't be deleted and also a Documents folder. Although I was able to move the My Documents folder just as you directed me to. That worked and now I will try doing that for the rest of them.

Just, how do I get rid of the ones on my desktop...?  And one more thing, my username folder that should be under C/users  is no longer there. :(  I did find it in previous versions, but can't copy to Users folder.

#7 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

ViperSec,

Hmm... I didn't see a video folder to do this with. I really need to do video too. Not sure what else. But thank you so far as most of them worked this way!

Ooops, when I go to my HD where I am hoping to store my data... the music folder is not there and neither is the pictures, after doing what you suggested. :(

Edited by itsreallycheryl, 22 June 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

If you can restore the previous version of the Users folder, do so. Is it possibly a hidden folder?

1. Open Windows Explorer.
  2. Right-click the folder C:\Users
  3. Left-click Properties
  4. Remove the tick mark from the Hidden box.

You may need to take ownership of the folder/file this will help,  it's a simple dll that adds "Take Ownership" so the right click menu, i use it myself on windows 10 and it has helped a lot.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Best of Luck

EDIT: you might also try sfc /scannow  (in elevated Command Promt) that is System File Checker, if it sees any errors it will repair them

-ViperSec.

Edited by Viper_Security, 22 June 2016 - 03:04 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

ViperSec,

Hmm... I didn't see a video folder to do this with. I really need to do video too. Not sure what else. But thank you so far as most of them worked this way!

Ooops, when I go to my HD where I am hoping to store my data... the music folder is not there and neither is the pictures, after doing what you suggested. :(

Oh Wow, which OS are you running? 7? 8? 8.1? 10?

hQBT2G3.png

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

You may have to boot to the installation CD and "repair your computer"

hQBT2G3.png

#11 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

I am running Windows 7 pro 64 bit...

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

Don't forget to disable User Account Control and restart your computer and follow instructions at SevenForums website.

"How to Restore Default Location of User Folders in Windows 7 and Windows 8"
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18583-user-folders-restore-default-location.html

"Disable UAC on Windows 7"
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

2GvnEq2.gif

#13 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

I am running Windows 7 pro 64 bit...

The "My" folders in windows are special "Magic" folders, read this and see if this would help you further.

http://scottiestech.info/2014/11/11/repair-missing-user-folders-in-windows-7/

hQBT2G3.png

#14 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Disabling my user account sounds a bit scary to me. If I do so, will I not loose access to using the computer or my files and personal data? (sorry, I am scared of messing things up further) But I guess this can be undone later...

Thank you for your help!

Cheryl

Edited by itsreallycheryl, 22 June 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

No don't worry you can disable User Account Control but enable it soon as you have finnish moving folders.

What is User Account Control?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-user-account-control#1TC=windows-7

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users