Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

Hi I have a friend who is setting up a small business, i want to set up the network for him, but have never done so, when i get a server do i always have to set up the forrest or is there an easier way? once thats set up what do i have to do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

How many computers and shared devices you going to setup?

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

I understand this is your first network setup experience?  If yes, please consider finding a local network guru who is successfully doing what you would like very much to do, and let that person guide you through this process; as well as taking in all the good advice from right here in BC!   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 22 June 2016 - 11:46 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

ok thanks, em 7 PCS and a few printers and not sure what else yetid love to try it i just want to makem sure im on the rite track

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

You don't need server if all computers using Windows OS you can share all the resources from all computer with each other or share it on one Windows computer printers included and share them with other computers. Which Windows Operating System version and editions the computers will be using.

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

I would use a server as you can control a lot of policys with it and not to mention the the use of ShadowCopies in case of Cryptoware (Standard user domain accounts cannot delete server shapshots using VSSADMIN) .

making everything available to everyone is a dangerous ground to go down and sharing printers is easier with windows server plus network shares, always make the windows shares hidden as most if not all crypto cannot find the shares unless they have domain admin access (Using 'net view \\%userdomain% /all | find /i "disk" | sort >> C:\TEMP\Shares.txt"', then they iterate using a FOR loop in a  batch and VSSADMIN /delete %%X  command) of which you would never give a standard user that level of access.

Never and i mean ever give any of the users an local or domain admin account, share printers with read only access, get a small 24 port switch, dont worry about vlans on such a small network.

For about 4 thousand you should have something fairly decent but dont use home group sharing as its incredibly easy to break them shares and token kidnap.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 22 June 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

You have to consider the level of computer experience.  Though server has more features they are useless if you don't know how to configure or use them.

New small business should work just fine in a peer to peer environment.  As they grow and mature Server maybe the path to go down in the future.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

You have to consider the level of computer experience.  Though server has more features they are useless if you don't know how to configure or use them.

New small business should work just fine in a peer to peer environment.  As they grow and mature Server maybe the path to go down in the future.

I agree!

2GvnEq2.gif

#9 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

I wrote a pretty detailed guide for a new user on another topic. That can be found here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616978/server-problems/

However, that is just the very basics and I agree with others that if you are attempting to setup a new domain from scratch, it's better to hire a professional to do this work for you, if it is mission critical.

I'm a network engineer and have been doing this type of works for years for 100s of clients. It's not something you just "throw together" and it just works. There is a lot of planning that goes into proper implementations of a full domain network. My post mentioned above simply gives you a vage idea of some of those things you need to plan for and a few guides on how to implement them.

Hope that helps.

Edited by androbourne, 27 June 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#10 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

ok thanks, all i need fot a P2P to work is a switch and accesss point etc

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

androbourne, earlier, I posted what I thought I remember years ago about making server backups -- can you add to or modify my post?  Since you've been doing expertly what others aspire to do, how do rate making server backups?

Addendum:  the earlier post was actually in another server thread!  If I find it, I will copyNpaste it in this post.

Found it!  Here it is:

"I've never set up a network server nor workstations depending upon a server; however, I am aware of scuttlebutt here and elsewhere that mention buying necessary external-existing hardware, buying necessary software, setting up a routine to backup the entire server [just the server contents] at least tri-weekly if not every evening, suggested was 1-3am+-.  If one is going to backup the workstations' contents, it was recommended a separate backup system be employed, here too 1-3am+-"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618096/best-way-to-go-with-1-server/   -- post #5

andrbourne, if you see this, I hope you add your very informative post to the 1-server thread.

Edited by RolandJS, 29 June 2016 - 10:26 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

androbourne, earlier, I posted what I thought I remember years ago about making server backups -- can you add to or modify my post?  Since you've been doing expertly what others aspire to do, how do rate making server backups?

Sure why not. Can you post the original link?

In short nowadays it's all about what form of backup and retention ranges you are trying to archive (also the budget).

1. End all be all solution, (AKA funds are not an issue).

I would recommend you purchase a true backup program like Acronis True Image or Backup Exec which also give you that full business grade support, and also purchase a NAS and roughly 2-4 external hard drives big enough to handle a few backup sets. (you do not want to use Windows Backup in this case as using it to backup to a Share, will only give you 1 day retention range, unless you map the NAS share to the server via iscsi which I wouldn't suggest as a first recommendation).

Backup software installed on the server with retention range of 14 days (to start, you can increase or decrease as space allows but 14 days is a good start). Do full backups every 2 weeks and incremental or reserves incremental in between those days set for 2 weeks as well.

Set the backup jobs to go to the network share on the NAS. If you use a NAS like a Synology NAS, you can plug the external drives to the NAS and  use Hyper Backup (built into the NAS OS) to backup your server backup share to the external USB drives. You can rotate these drives out on a daily or weekly bases for offsite storage.

Doing it in this manner will give you full on site and offsite backups.

2. Deadmans backup method. (funds are tight)

You can disregard the NAS all together, install Windows Backup on the server (feature) and plug both external USB drives into the server at the same time then configure a backup job. This will allow for one external to be used as a "local backup" and one to be used for a disk backup rotation for offsite storage.

You can also use a free software instead of Windows Backup, but you need to ensure that software does a full image bare metal backup as well as file level. Most free backups only do file level backups.

A good free backup, and does the above which I use at home or for my cheapo clients is Veeam Endpoint Backup Free. It is totally free and really really good for a free product! However, because it's free it has it's limitations, so just be aware of that.

In the end, it is all subject to the network and importance of the servers/files verse storage size and costs. You will need to estimate how much space will be used for backups then calulate 2.5x extra for future expansion and retention ranges etc... for the backup storage size. For larger networks this can get quite expensive, so each network will have a different solution. Some might be reducing retention ranges to only a week for lessor storage size needs or using free software etc..

My true recommendation is DONT GO CHEAP ON YOUR BACKUPS!!!!!!!!!  I see this happen all the time, a lot of my clients are in Florida and they go cheap on everything UNTIL, the server blows up or they get the Crypto virus and then they are now willing to spent 5x more to fix the problem after the fact....

Edited by androbourne, 29 June 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#13 High_Technology

High_Technology

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

I understand this is your first network setup experience?  If yes, please consider finding a local network guru who is successfully doing what you would like very much to do, and let that person guide you through this process; as well as taking in all the good advice from right here in BC!   :)

I agree with him mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users