Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switches work about half the time...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oooo35980

oooo35980

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

Hey Everybody,

I work for a company installing credit card terminals. A lot of the time when we get to a location the client has one line coming from the router, run halfway across the building, and plugged into a POS system. I need to make that one line into two, so that I can plug in my equipment. Right now we just use a switch. Problem is, half the time the damn thing won't work. Sometimes we plug everything in and reset it, and it just starts directing traffic. Sometimes traffic just won't get through the switch at all.

Yesterday I spent three hours trying to make a switch work, it would work with the test router I brought, but just wouldn't do anything with the customer's equipment. DHCP was enabled, I turned off the firewall on their router, it simply would not work. Is there a particular router setting that I'm missing or something?

I appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:44 AM

What model switch/routers? 

#3 oooo35980

oooo35980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

They are TP-LINK TL-SF1005D switches, the routers vary with the customer. The one from yesterday was just some router that ATT U-Verse gives out, I didn't write down the specs on it.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

Do you get physical link between switch and gateway? How exactly do the POS not work? I would need to know more about the network specifics to be sure, but my first instinct is a IP conflict. 

Edited by Trikein, 22 June 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#5 oooo35980

oooo35980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

I'm not sure to be honest, we have a physical connection from the router to the switch, and we get link lights, but no traffic will get through. When I connect my PC to the switch I can't get to the router at all. I'll start compiling a list of routers that work and ones that don't, and maybe I'll be able to correlate the list to something.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

Did you happen to test if you could ping the router when connected direct to the line? Also, how long was the run from gateway to switch? Maybe something with the model's "green" options not working well over long stretches with certain gateways? 

+1 For making a list.

Edited by Trikein, 22 June 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#7 oooo35980

oooo35980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

I can't ping the router at all, and there is no gateway listed in ipconfig. It's like the switch I'm plugged into isn't connected to anything at all. It does seem to happen more with long drops. What exactly are teh "green" options?

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

"TP-LINK Green Technology analyzes the length of the Ethernet cable connected and adjusts the power usage accordingly, rather than keeping the power consumption in a conventional solution, saving up to 60% of power that would otherwise be wasted." See here.

Not sure how it analyzes that length, but maybe that system is breaking? Also, I notice it can do 200Mbps at full duplex which is unusual for a 10/100 switch. Try to take note of the connection rate between POS and switch. 

Also are the runs close to the 100m mark? 

#9 oooo35980

oooo35980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

It's nowhere near 100m, more like 10 or 20 max. Next time it happens I'll take some notes and maybe that will give me a better idea. I haven't done this type of work in a while, and I was really just hoping there was some setting or other on newer routers. It doesn't look like that's the case though.

Thanks for all the help guys!

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

No gateway indicates you are getting a auto assigned ip like 169...

Make sure the routers dhcp scope [though POS should be assigned static ips...] is large enough to accommodate the new POS equipment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users