Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard not back lit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 roxie2

roxie2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

I have a keyboard that should be back lit but is not;  I removed the battery and drained the computer of power and when I replaced the battery, the keyboard was back lit.  After putting the comp. into sleep mode the keyboard was no longer back lit.  Restarting the comp did not solve the problem.

The comp is a Dell Inspiron 15-5555 running windows 10.  Do not have the ability to change brightness with function keys.  The comp was connected to power source when this happened. Dell suggested the steps I have described and say they will get back to me.

Thanks to all who have responded.  I am replying this way because I could not figure out house to use "MultiQuote".

Edited by roxie2, 22 June 2016 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

Can you give us your laptop brand name and module number.

Also does the issue happen even laptop connected to power source?

Posted Image

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

In addition to FreeBooter's input, might I ask if the keyboard itself has function keys that allow you to increase/decrease the brightness of the backlighting?

It is entirely possible that a power-saver mode/eco mode of some sort sets the brightness down to zero, which is where it will stay until or unless you increase it again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

I have a keyboard that should be back lit but is not;  I removed the battery and drained the computer of power and when I replaced the battery, the keyboard was back lit.  After putting the comp. into sleep mode the keyboard was no longer back lit.  Restarting the comp did not solve the problem.

Could someone suggest a solution?

Have you gone to the manufacturer's website to see if an updated driver is available?  My daughter was having similar situation after upgrading to Windows 10.

#5 roxie2

roxie2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:27 AM

I want to thank those who attempted to help me with my keyboard problem.  Dell found the solution for me.  Windows Mobility Center contains a setting for the keyboard's brightness.  Seems simple when I know the answer.  Thanks to everyone.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the solution!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thank you for informing us how your issue can be resolve.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users