Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which versions of MS Visual Studio C++ 32/64-bit Redist. are compatible w./W10?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and would like to make sure that I have all versions of MS Visual Studio C++ Redistributables that are compatible with my OS.

I have already downloaded and installed v.2008, v.2010, v.2012, v.2013 and v.2015, but not yet v.2005, as I am uncertain if it is compatible.

So now, I am wondering: Which versions of MS Visual Studio C++ 32/64-bit Redist. are compatible w./W10?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:43 AM

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 had support until April this year which means it should have been updated to be able to operate on Windows 10 (theoretically).  This means that they have no obligation to fix your problems if you do run into any.

That being said, there may be issues as most of their customers who kept VS2005 would also have kept their old operating system as most likely they don't want to change any part of their system, which means there may be bugs or it may not work at all. 

From a brief google search there seem to be people who think it does work and others who think it doesn't, although there doesn't seem to be many people claiming it doesn't work in the last 5 months ago.  I'd say try it, and hope for the best.  It may need some fiddling though.

Reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?sort=PN&alpha=Visual%20Studio

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:52 AM

Hi, KingDavidlll!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

I'd say try it, and hope for the best.  It may need some fiddling though.

Well, I guess I could try it, and report back afterwards. And if need be, I can always image restore my system with Acronis True Image 2016. :busy:

Not sure if I would know how to fiddle with it in order for it to work properly if required, even though I am a former programmer (MS QuickBASIC).

However, I do enjoy using the command prompt to perform administrative tasks in Windows, since command-line tools can be faster and more powerful than their graphical alternatives.

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

Hi again, KingDavidlll!

I tried to install it, however I subsequently made some rather interesting observations, namely that the installation did not prompt me for Administrator rights by default (very strange nowadays), (I am Administrator, BTW), and although the installation went well, upon finishing I was prompted with a dialogue box called 'Program Compatibility Assistant' asking me whether the installation seemed to have went well or if I in stead would debug it...

So undoubtedly, IMO, MS Visual (Studio) C++ 2005 is incompatible with MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit. :( Therefore, I neither trust it nor recommend it.

And in order to properly undo this operation, I image restored my system with ATI 2016, like previously noted. Will have to reinstall MS Visual C++ v.2015, though.

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 24 June 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#5 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

Just a heads up, sometimes the program compatibility manager comes up anyway even if a program can still run, it just means that it wasn't designed with that operating system in mind, so you are indeed correct that it hasn't been updated for it to work natively I guess, thanks for the notice!

Also may I ask why you were investigating the compatibility? 

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

Hi again, KingDavidlll!

Thank you for the supporting reply! :) And you are welcome! :wink:

Well, as you can see in my signature, I constantly try running lots of anti-malware tools in order to subsequently clean my computer for malware, given the fact that each AM-vendor has its own database, and as such will yield different results. I am particularly fond of diagnostic AM-tools, and have years of personal experience with them. There are several diagnostic AM-tools that actually have publicly available tutorials, while others require expert education in anti-malware schools, in order to interpret the log entries, determine what needs to be fixed and plan a strategy for disinfection.

And while trying a new diagnostic AM-tool, I discovered some bugs that I reported to the developer, however while awaiting an answer I got a hunch about this (MS Visual C++) and thought that it would be beneficial in general to have all compatible versions for my OS, installed. Because back in the days of my own programming experience there was a lot of talk about dependencies. But I guess this has changed nowadays, as most if not all executables are stand-alones, and there are also more freeware programming languages than ever before. And finally, the program worked perfectly! :thumbup2:

Thank you!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 June 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#7 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

No problem!  Always happy to help.  Just a heads up changing versions of Visual studio won't do all that much in relation to dependencies, except for changing the defaults.  In my opinion you might be better off having the most up to date version of visual studio and getting familiar with how to change the compilers/.NET versions/other dependencies for each project you are working on, it might be a bit quicker and more reliable.  

Also do you publish your results anywhere on what you find with each different tool that you use?  I'm curious to read about what you have learnt!

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

Hi again, KingDavidlll!

And finally, the program worked perfectly! :thumbup2:

The complete sentence was...Gradually, the developer made some changes in his programs' source code, recompiled and republished the executable, and finally, the program worked perfectly! :thumbup2:

Also do you publish your results anywhere on what you find with each different tool that you use?  I'm curious to read about what you have learnt!

For each different tool that I use, I usually do not publish my results unless I am in doubt about the results, and therefore need help from the AII or MRL forums (I have done that a couple of times, especially when I was all new to this). :unsure:

Most anti-malware tools are non-diagnostic and use a predefined and frequently updated database (blacklisting), to subsequently scan the computer for malware, and finally present the scan results (threats) with options for removal or keeping (the latter especially if False Positives).

Only a few anti-malware tools are diagnostic, and scan the computer for both goodware and malware, and finally present the scan results without distinguishing between what is good and bad, thus leaving it up to the end user to decide what to remove and whatnot. This type of tools also uses whitelisting to exclude default Microsoft entries in order to reduce the length of the scan log results(, which often tend to get long). In order to remove something with this type of tools, the end user can create fix scripts which are then carried out line-by-line (like a batch file), often consisting of scan log entries copied into the script by the end user(, but also various commands if need be).

Diagnostic anti-malware tools that have publicly available tutorials, include Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and OldTimer's List-It (OTL), while others like Zoek and ComboFix require expert education in anti-malware schools (i.e. here at BC) to best learn how to read their logs, create fixes from them and learn how to remove malware.

And, like I said, even though I am a former programmer, unfortunately I lack the necessary commitment / obligation to apply for such education..., which, although sounding somewhat selfish, to help anyone else but myself, sorry... :(

On a side note however, nowadays I am able to spot a lot of malware in my own first MRL forum topic. :lol:

And, once again; Thank you!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 30 June 2016 - 09:11 AM.

#9 GoldenT

GoldenT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

Visual Studio 2005

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users