Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get a job in web design

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gab1982

gab1982

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

Hi all,

OK I seem to have a problem I have always loved design, it makes me feel relaxed and no stressed however for most of my career I have had to take front-end development roles for a job, I did a computer science degree at university (although I got a 2:2, I enjoyed one of the design/UX modules) in the course, prior to university I was creating websites, forum themes using photoshop and hand coding in html, css (I prefer sthe design side more), I have tried to apply for junior design roles world wide (really hoping I can learn) however I always seem to get declined and sometimes been told my design isn't good enough but how do I explain its what I love doing, as I mentioned some of my jobs have been primarily front-end development for which I can scrape by on and gives me stress, however the job as a front-end developer has now changed, its no longer cross browser compatibility, w3c validated code, html, css and some javascript, its html, css, javascript, react, angular and others (and I struggle to understand OOP principles) and mostly new libraries such as React, Angular etc, I have actually got so concerned about my future career and will I be able to change to a design role, you can see my work here: http://www.bbdimension.com/designs

One of my concerns is also web design jobs are getting less and less due to there are many designers coming out of education, and also templates.

I have tried changing careers (to lower salaried jobs, bar work, shop work etc) before but I found this very difficult and I was told I was overqualified, the only thing I ever enjoyed was design, i tried tailoring my CV resume too.

can anyone give me any advice?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

Honestly, design jobs are really really hard to get these days.  The way we hired our designers when I was working for a startup in America was to first have a quick HR phone interview, just to make sure you have the right fit.  Then 60% passed (incl. the resume check) that, we had people send in their website with a portfolio (a must) and what they thought was most relevant to our company, if we liked that (25%) they would get a skype interview.  This skype interview we would pick a few relevant things in the portfolio, then talk with them about how they made one that they had picked, and a few which they hadn't.  And to be honest, we had one guy, I liked the answers he gave, he had 3 years in a relevant company requiring same design work that we would, he had experience in Unity3D and around 8 years industry experience.  My boss declined him due to the fact "he didn't like his design". 

Advice:  These are my personal opinions and I wasn't involved in the design decisions of my former company, nor the hiring process past the first stage of the designers. 
Your home page is way too cluttered.  Minimalism is the thing these days.  Pick one thing that you like and display that on your home page.  Keep that page though and just chuck it as a page at the back as other projects. 

Don't have a price page, have them contact you for a quote - that way you already have a foot in the door

Don't have things that look like websites in your past projects, which link to images.  As soon as your portfolio gets checked over it's an automatic no.  If you want to do that clearly label it designs.

And I hate to say this, but I actually don't like your design.  It just seems too cluttered.  I can't pin it on anything in particular, but most of your stuff seems like it's trying to sell something like a creepy salesman.

I wish you luck, but it's a hard sell out there. 

#3 gab1982

gab1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:53 AM

Many thanks for the reply KindDavidIII,

Yes I know my portfolio is out of date, regarding projects that link to images, truth be told I got fedup of uploading the design to my own site, after so many of the websites changed URL's over the years etc, I hope to improve my work soon, I agree design is very subjective, if you do figure out what you can't pin it on, do let me know please.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by gab1982, 22 June 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#4 cyberjaguar

cyberjaguar

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:23 AM

Nowadays, web platforms like Wordpress are becoming more and more prevalent. With it being extremely easy to setup Wordpress (which is superior for most people needs than any website built up from scratch), and there being 1000s and 1000s of free themes available, and no shortage of theme developers, it seems to me (as someone who has been a small-time amateur wordpress designer/admin) that this is the way a big part of the market is going.

To see what direction modern design is going in, Id suggest taking a look at pages like these.

http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/

https://colorlib.com/wp/creative-wordpress-themes/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users