Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot old computer that was in storage. BSOD 0x0000007B

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kendoubleu

kendoubleu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:15 AM

Hello,

Okay, have this OLD workstation that was collecting dust in the closet. There are a couple of personal files I THOUGHT I had backed up and would like to retrieve if possible before recycling the computer. The last time I turned it on, several years ago :) it booted fine. The CMOS battery has died since then and the bios settings have been reset. Installed a new battery and have been tinkering with the bios settings for a couple days trying to get it to boot.

There are 3 hard drives in the system. One is just a storage drive. The other two are setup in RAID0. The OS is on the RAID.

Here is a link to the motherboard manual that shows all of the bios options: http://aliendl.alienware.com/Motherboard/Intel/X2/X2_user_manual_v2_1.pdf

The hard drives are plugged in via SATA connections but there are two IDE ribbon thingies connecting two CD Drives. Also a Floppy drive attached by a ribbon cable. My hunch is that an option is not correctly set with the IDE configurations shown on page 20 but I'm pretty sure I tried all possible settings. Aside from that, I tried researching almost every other bios setting individually briefly but after 50 restarts or so, still nothing. My next guess is the boot information is corrupt on the RAID? I see that there are two RAID options, one built-in to the bios, and another that is accessible by pressing F4 immediately after turning the computer on. Everything looks great in the RAID setup after pressing F4--it's seeing the two drives as a RAID0.

I purchased a Windows XP CD since the computer didn't come with one and tried to access the recovery thing. It will not allow me to enter it saying that it can not find a windows install on the hard drive. 

I am unable boot into windows by pressing the "last known working configuration" or whatever it says. After pressing that, or "start windows normally", the windows xp logo and progress bar appear but after 5 seconds or so it goes to this BSOD: 0x0000007B (0xF78AA524, 0x0000034, etc...)

When trying to start in safe mode it hangs briefly at mup.sys and then BSOD's. 

The only other clue is that I believe I removed a video acceleration/capture card to sell. Not sure how removing that would affect boot? Also reseated power connections, GPU, and RAM. The two hard drives that make up the RAID are and have been set in the sata_4 and sata_5 connections as shown on the motherboard manual. Have also tried starting without a mouse or keyboard connected and the same BSOD happens.

Anyway, seems like a big mess, no? I know it's probably not worth all of the trouble but I feel like the computer is defeating me. I really want to win this battle, not only to recover files, but to feel some sort of personal worth. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Will you help me feel worthy? Thank you.

Attached File  X2_user_manual_v2_1-11.jpg   84.39KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_LucentWarrior_*

Guest_LucentWarrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:43 AM

There are a few things that could be causing this, i would take a look at this link provided below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324103

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:41 AM

Disconnect the cables that go to the CD/DVD and the floppy (both power and data).

I also would disconnect them at the motherboard - in case the cables have problems.

I'd also disconnect any other things that might cause problems (such as external USB ports on the front panel)

Then test the drives with a bootable hard drive test ( http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html ) - I'd suggest the Seagate Seatools test, run the long/extended test on each drive.

If the drives all pass, then look at rebuilding the RAID array (but I don't know much about working on RAID).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kendoubleu

kendoubleu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Lucent. Took a look at that article but most solutions link to articles that are no longer available or redirect back to the original page since XP is no longer supported.

Thanks Usama. Unplugging the CD drives, floppy, and front USB ports did not allow windows xp to boot. 

Checked the health of the two hard drives in the RAID by removing them from the stubborn computer and testing them individually within another windows computer because this note was listed on the carrona.org site you sent: "NOTE:  If you have a RAID array, the test's may not detect the hard drive.  If that is the case, please run the manufacturer's diagnostics from within Windows.  There will be a different download for this at the manufacturer's website."

One drive passed, the other says "Test found bad sectors that may be repairable." Should I click Repair? This is through the Western Digital LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows.

Forgive me if this question is naive but is it possible to install windows on a separate drive on the computer and then once in windows there be a way to access the files on the RAID? Like will the RAID just potentially show up in MY COMPUTER?

Thanks again!

#5 Guest_LucentWarrior_*

Guest_LucentWarrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Lucent. Took a look at that article but most solutions link to articles that are no longer available or redirect back to the original page since XP is no longer supported.

Thanks Usama. Unplugging the CD drives, floppy, and front USB ports did not allow windows xp to boot. 

Checked the health of the two hard drives in the RAID by removing them from the stubborn computer and testing them individually within another windows computer because this note was listed on the carrona.org site you sent: "NOTE:  If you have a RAID array, the test's may not detect the hard drive.  If that is the case, please run the manufacturer's diagnostics from within Windows.  There will be a different download for this at the manufacturer's website."

One drive passed, the other says "Test found bad sectors that may be repairable." Should I click Repair? This is through the Western Digital LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows.

Forgive me if this question is naive but is it possible to install windows on a separate drive on the computer and then once in windows there be a way to access the files on the RAID? Like will the RAID just potentially show up in MY COMPUTER?

Thanks again!

I apologize for not viewing all of the linked articles before posting. I would click repair for that drive, and see if your then able to boot the system, as a few bad sectors is all it would take to make it unbootable. As for being able to install windows on another drive, and leaving the other drives intact, you should be able to access them much like any other partition/external device, providing the damage to the sectors is not to extensive. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

I have not used this linux based bootable disk's RAID Recovery for Windows Module. It may work for you. Normally you would pull the drives, attach them to another computer then run the software which costs $99. I am not sure how they handle the cost on this bootable disk. It seems to be free when using the bootable linux disk based on Knoppix but I am not sure.  

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

https://www.runtime.org/raid-recovery-windows.htm   The download is free so it may give you the ability to mount the RAID but require payment for recovery. 

Also there are numerous threads on the internet of people using a live linux disk to mount the RAID disks for data recovery. 

#7 kendoubleu

kendoubleu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

Okay, attempted to repair one of the drives in the RAID. Put it back in the stubborn computer, still didn't boot. 

Tried to run a new windows xp install onto another drive but windows setup says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" despite seeing all of the drives through the boot menu in the bios.

Is this a clue?

Also, I read about IRQ conflicts. When I turn off fast boot, I can see a list of all of the components and what IRQ they are on. Is this relevant at all? I know nothing about this. 

Thanks JohnC_21. Will look into that as a last resort. I'm somewhat limited by my pee-sized brain so not sure if that is too techy for me :)

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

Repairing the bad sectors will wipe the contents of those sectors.

As such, anything on them is now gone.

If it was OS files, then it depends on what those files did for the OS as to whether it will boot or not (and if the system was bootable before).

If it was data files, then the system should boot (if the system was bootable before).

If it was freespace, then the system should boot (if the system was bootable before).

But the point here is that the disk had bad sectors.  An the followup question is "Why did it have them?"

At work we most often see this with a failing hard drive - so we replace the hard drives whenever we see this sort of error.

If you don't replace the drive, then what do you do when bad sectors crop up in the next few days/weeks?

You'll most likely have to setup the RAID array again, then install XP after the array is re-setup.

But, as I said earlier, I'm not real good with RAID - so you'll have to ask for help with that in another topic.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users