Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 UAC is messing up / stronger than it should be.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 gendo666

gendo666

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

I went through a harrowing situation where after my girlfrined used my computer I was faced with torrential pop-ups and "helpful" programs loading themselves on my system.

I cut net access, uninstalled the programs through windows uninstal

and removed 3 trojans using Microsof Security then scanned for any others 

(total system scan)

(or to see if they or any others were there) with  Hosecall and Spybot S&D.

I prefored a crc check in safe mode with no problems coming up.

THEN

I did a system restore to a about 4 hours before the whole thing started.

My problem is when I restarted windows did not load two items on startup (an alarm program and puush)

And also UAC now pops up and equires me to constantly give security permission to active some files sich ass ccleaner, U-torrent and others.

Also I get a " Destination access denied you need adminstrator privleges to place a file on this drive"  (which I then give and things are fine)

I have no idea what's wrong.

I did try Combofix which worked - but removed a ton of files I'm using. (like classic shell)

I restored the system (with no problem) as I don't want to do without those but still have the security issue.

When looking at the UAC settings (both before and after Combofix) it was still set to the second level from the bottom, 

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    USER-PC
System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model    Z97X-UD3H-BK
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel® Core™ i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. F6, 6/17/2014
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale    Canada
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name    User-PC\Admin
Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    7.86 GB
Available Physical Memory    4.35 GB
Total Virtual Memory    15.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory    12.2 GB
Page File Space    7.86 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

Ask for malware infection checkup follow the instructions at Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me? thread. After system is clear of infection and issues you have described not resolve please let us know so we can assist you resolve them. Make sure the include error messages displayed.

Posted Image

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Change User Account Control settings -- is not working, correct?   Let me suggest Windows Repair (All in One), I'm thinking clicks 26 & 27 may just do the trick.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 June 2016 - 10:29 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 gendo666

gendo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

I'm a little confused with what you mean by  clicks 26 & 27    ????

n

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

Ask for malware infection checkup follow the instructions at Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me? thread. After system is clear of infection and issues you have described not resolve please let us know so we can assist you resolve them. Make sure the include error messages displayed.

This is good advice.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

I'm a little confused with what you mean by  clicks 26 & 27    ????

Within Windows Repair (All in One)'s menu is a long list of choices with their respective checkboxes to their left.  Items 26 & 27 have to do with resetting normal Windows operations.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 gendo666

gendo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:15 AM

Okay I did that and ran 26 and 27.

I'm still getting the same problem with the UAC. 

I have no idea what combofix did when it ran but it managed to fix at least that - at the loss of more programs I'm using.

Edited by gendo666, 23 June 2016 - 01:17 AM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

Okay I did that and ran 26 and 27.  I'm still getting the same problem with the UAC.

I have no idea what combofix did when it ran but it managed to fix at least that - at the loss of more programs I'm using.

WR (AiO) is just one tool of many, sometimes it does not work; I forgot if/where there is a checkbox dealing only with UAC.   Combofix, when it is successful, often is caustic, causing, or bringing to the forefront, other problems.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 June 2016 - 07:18 AM.

#9 gendo666

gendo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

Okay I did that and ran 26 and 27.  I'm still getting the same problem with the UAC.

WR (AiO) is just one tool of many, sometimes it does not work; I forgot if/where there is a checkbox dealing only with UAC.   Combofix, when it is successful, often is caustic, causing, or bringing to the forefront, other problems.

I will say an "amen" to the comment about combofix. I also managed to delete the wrong thing from my resistry and then could get NONE of my system restore points to load.  Thakn goodness for the start repair pannel.  I've been up  well, since yesterday and now that at least I have things running again I'm not going to mess around for a day.

I looked at my account settings (I wish that this version of Windows 7 had the console for that)  and BOTH of my accounts at least *say* they are runnng as administrator.  

I seem to remember a command string (run as admin) that gives admin control over accounts (in case they are broken)  But for the life of me I can't rember that as well and am to tired to look for it.

Attached File  accounts.jpg   29.22KB   0 downloads

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

You have had two respected members suggest that you open a topic in the Am I Infected forum, I agree with this suggestion.

Combofix is a powerful program and should not be run without a strong working knowledge of this program.  If you don't have this knowledge I would suggest you not run it unless you are receiving help from the Malware Removal Logs forum where a member of our Malware Removal Team would be helping you.

Unfortunately the Windows Repair (All In One) does not address UAC issues.  More importantly, what you described in your first post is normal for the UAC.  It stops installations to inquire if you really wish to do this.  If you are the only person using this computer or feel comfortable letting others install programs on this computer you can use the sliding bar in the User Accounts under UAC to lower or stop this action by moving the slide to the bottom setting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:12 AM

New topic opened in AII...this topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users