Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux usb install problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

I sold my ssd today. I have only one laptop thats why

I need to install linux from usb drive with help of my smart phone.

I tried software like iso extractor on android.

I some how need to install linux on asus laptop

With help of android phone and usb connector tool

And usb drive. Is there way to do this or do

I just buy new linux/windows. Thanks for help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Cool! I managed to atleast boot ubuntu. Not sure yet if it works.

#3 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

Now ubuntu console says: unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

What i do? Thanks

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:40 PM

I sold my ssd today.

So has your PC got a Hard Drive in it now?

#5 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

Yes basic 1 tera harddrive.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:04 PM

Has your PC got a CD/DVD drive?

Do you have access to another PC? One that you could use to download a Linux ISO and burn it to CD/DVD or create a live USB stick on? You may even be able to do it at a public library.

#7 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:08 PM

Yes got dvd drive. Not in my areas library possible. Only option is to buy new linux/windows. 

Not possible at the moment.

#8 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

I were just asking if there is easy way to do it.

If not i just buy new operating system.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:05 AM

Hi Finlandnoob and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer (BC) and to the Linux & Unix Section. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

1. Is the DVD one which can record (burn) software, or just play?
  2. Is the computer also running a version of Windows, and if so, which (eg Win 7, Win 8.1, Win10)
  3. Is the computer set up to run in English or in Finnish?
  4. Is it Ubuntu in particular which you wish to install?

Thanks

:wizardball: Wizard

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:44 AM

Finlandnoob,  :welcome: to the Linux Community of Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

We're happy to have you abroad & hopefully can assist you in this matter. :thumbup2:

If you have the ISO, can transfer to an external drive, you can burn (not write) the image to a DVD, that is, if the optical drive is capable of burning. These are fairly low in cost, even the USB attached portable versions. So are USB sticks, though normally the best deals are found online. The issue at hand, I take it, is there's no OS installed, making these tasks difficult. Haven't heard of anyone creating bootable media from a smartphone. 

This is really something that should had been performed before selling the SSD, unless it contained no OS. Planning is of essence, and really, the Ubuntu install would had ran a lot faster on the SSD. :)

Finally, do you have any friends/family members or neighbor (anyone?) who'll allow you the use of their computer to download the ISO & burn a DVD? That would be your best bet if you don't have an OS installed, IMO. You're going to have to gain access to a computer to accomplish what you want to do. And once Ubuntu is installed, and know that either your notebook has a DVD burner that works well, or have a USB stick (USB 2.0 sticks are best for creating bootable ISO's), then you can try out other OS's. 

FIrst things first, if you have no one that'll allow you access to their computer to burn a DVD, you're going to have to get some type of OS installed to where you can get something done. If by chance you have a Windows 7 DVD laying around (as long as it's not a branded reinstall DVD), you can use that for up to 30 days w/out a COA. That's plenty long enough to download & create a bootable Linux DVD. By that, am simply laying out your options on the table. Really it doesn't have to be updated nor secured for this purpose, just run long enough to download the ISO & create bootable media, all that matters is that the MD5, SHA1 or preferably SHA-256 hashes matches the ISO downloaded. Many Linux distros are now providing SHA-256 hashes for security of the ISO. 

You can also use any Linux CD or DVD you can find to install the OS to download & burn a DVD. Or you can purchase one online from OSDisc.com. 

https://www.osdisc.com/

If you have no one to assist you, then that's the only thing I can suggest, unless you have some type of OS install media laying around to install temporarily to get you where you want to be, and will need a computer to access that site, though you can use your smartphone for that purpose. :)

At this stage, am fresh out of other suggestions, though the link above may be your best bet, just make sure that Ubuntu is what you want. And if your notebook has an AMD graphics card, will have to go with Ubuntu 14.04, if Intel or nVidia, can run 16.04, supported until April 2021. 

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

Ok. I managed to loan friends laptop.
Now installing suse leap from usb stick.
Thanks for help!

#12 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

Im running asus g751jy laptop.
So suse leap should work perfectly.

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

That unit should work fine with just about any Linux.

Suse Leap may be a tall order - can you tell me whether it is 42.1 or 42.2?

Good luck

:wizardball: Wizard

I take that back, it is likely 42.1

Edited

Edited by wizardfromoz, 22 June 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#14 Finlandnoob

Finlandnoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

That linux suse leap is 42.1 version.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:54 AM

Ok. I managed to loan friends laptop.
Now installing suse leap from usb stick.
Thanks for help!

Finlandnoob, glad to hear it! :thumbup2:

After all, what are (true) friends for? :)

True friends will be there for you, just as you are for them. That's why I asked if you knew anyone. Truth is, most of us does, only rarely it's the opposite.

Enjoy OpenSuse, and if it doesn't turn out to be your 'cup of tea', now you have an install where you can create a bootable ISO with a USB stick, or burn to DVD (assuming yours is a burner) to install another OS. Like Wiz was saying above, OpenSuse may be a tall order, on the other hand, some picks up better than others. :)

The main thing about most, is these these works fairly much the same, only the way to install software is different. As long as you can boot the computer & run the Web browser, the rest will come in time. I ran Linux Mint MATE for two years out of the box before adding software, because at the time, didn't need more, this is when I was first dual booting with Windows XP Pro, then later W7. So it was in early 2011 (close to the SP1 release for W7) when I dared to begin making changes. If I had any regrets, looking back, that was learning how to use the Terminal to activate the built in Firewall, so that it would load at every boot. The one that's in the Start Menu doesn't load with every boot, only on demand. 

So maybe that's one thing you need to learn, as soon as you feel a bit comfortable. I also perform system updates using the Terminal every day, well I'll check anyway, usually after every logon. :thumbup2:

We'd be very happy to assist you in your OpenSuse adventure, while normally we talk most about Ubuntu based OS's here, with a bit of Puppy, there's always room for other OS's, to share our experiences, and learn from one another. For many of us, it was the Forums were we learned the most, along with articles pertaining to the OS. 

Good Luck & please keep us informed of progress! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users