Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Combofix been updated lately?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 shrimpy

shrimpy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:42 PM

I was wondering if Combofix had been updated lately because I tried downloading it today (6/21/16) from Bleeping Computer's site to a USB drive from a clean computer and then opening it to a possibly infected computer and it keeps wanting to run in the Reduced Functionality Mode.    As if it were an old outdated version.

I've never encountered this before and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this phenomena lately.   And if not, what could be possibly tripping up Combofix.

Thanks for any help that you all can offer.

Edit: Moved topic from Am I infected? What do I do? to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by shrimpy, 21 June 2016 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrimpy

shrimpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

I was wondering if Combofix had been updated lately because I tried downloading it today (6/21/16) from Bleeping Computer's site to a USB drive from a clean computer and then opening it to a possibly infected computer and it keeps wanting to run in the Reduced Functionality Mode.    As if it were an old outdated version.

I've never encountered this before and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this phenomena lately.   And if not, what could be possibly tripping up Combofix.

Thanks for any help that you all can offer.

Edit: Moved topic from Am I infected? What do I do? to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

I guess this has been moved here.   Still.. Anyone coming across this lately?

Oh, used a windows 10 OS on the clean computer download to the USB and attempted to open the Combofix on a windows 7 OS if that helps.

Edited by shrimpy, 21 June 2016 - 06:53 PM.

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

If you are having malware issues, then post here or here. Running combofix can brick your machine, the tool requires advanced knowledge to recover a machine if things go wrong....

There is a whole warning about running the tool on your own, just because it has worked fine in the past... Does not mean that issues will arise if you run it on your own. The tool does a number of things, and running it first as a go to tool is not really a good idea....

#4 shrimpy

shrimpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

If you are having malware issues, then post here or here. Running combofix can brick your machine, the tool requires advanced knowledge to recover a machine if things go wrong....

There is a whole warning about running the tool on your own, just because it has worked fine in the past... Does not mean that issues will arise if you run it on your own. The tool does a number of things, and running it first as a go to tool is not really a good idea....

Sorry but this does not answer the question.

This issue might be a problem for Combofix's site itself.

And by the way, the first link that you provided was where I originally posted this thread and it got bounced here by Animal.

Edited by shrimpy, 21 June 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

JwtdJXT.png

#6 shrimpy

shrimpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

JwtdJXT.png

Yep, it said the same thing to me..   And still insisted on running in the Reduced Functionality Mode...   Which makes it appear that Bleeping Computer is where the problem is originating from.

Edited by shrimpy, 21 June 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

Does the machine in question have an internet connection?

#8 shrimpy

shrimpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

Yes it does InadequatInfirmity.

Although when Combofix was ran it was used in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Edited by shrimpy, 21 June 2016 - 07:12 PM.

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

Therein lies the issue.... Run it in normal mode and you should not see the issue. But it would be best to create a new thread here, ask for help these guys here are the best help you can get out there period....

Just take a look here, your choice. :)

#10 shrimpy

shrimpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

Therein lies the issue.... Run it in normal mode and you should not see the issue. But it would be best to create a new thread here, ask for help these guys here are the best help you can get out there period....

Just take a look here, your choice. :)

Normal mode as in regular Safe Mode?

And yes, you are right, these guys here are the Wizards of rooting out viruses and malware..  I just try not to bother them too much if I can avoid it.

Edited by shrimpy, 21 June 2016 - 07:24 PM.

#11 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

I just try not to bother them too much if I can avoid it.

They enjoy it, that is why there is no charge. Plus it is a learning experience for both parties. Post your thread, it will be answered. Just make sure to thank your helper. Helping people is the goal of this site, and the warning are put into place for a reason, they would be more likely to be bothered if you ran combofix and it trashed the machine in question....

Normal mode as in regular Safe Mode?

Saying too much more would look like I am suggesting you to run the tool, so I will not comment on CF anymore.

Whatever you choose, good luck. :) 

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

ComboFix is optimized to run from normal mode where it is most effective. However, it should run in safe mode if you are having trouble getting it to run or loading Windows in normal mode.

Just so you know...ComboFix most likely never will be updated to support Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 since there are other alternatives (such as FRST, Zoek) which are being used by malware removal experts. However, the developer (sUBs) periodically releases updates and fixes for older supported operating systems. The download link at BleepingComputer is working without any issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 shrimpy

shrimpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

To anyone else out there..  Have you encountered this problem lately with Combofix?  Because the problem at this point appears to be originating with the site itself.

Has anyone been able to get past the Reduced Functionality Mode in a test run of Combofix today?

To rehash.   I am attempting to use a  new free version of Combofix, yet the Combofix is behaving as if I'm using an old version of it.  

Edited by shrimpy, 21 June 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#14 shrimpy

shrimpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

ComboFix is optimized to run from normal mode where it is most effective. However, it should run in safe mode if you are having trouble getting it to run or loading Windows in normal mode.

Just so you know...ComboFix most likely never will be updated to support Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 since there are other alternatives (such as FRST, Zoek) which are being used by malware removal experts. However, the developer (sUBs) periodically releases updates and fixes for older supported operating systems. The download link at BleepingComputer is working without any issues.

It is being used on a Windows 7 OS.

Thanks for clarifying the normal mode vs. Safe Mode question that I had in any event.

#15 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

Has anyone been able to get past the Reduced Functionality Mode in a test run of Combofix today?

I download and tested it and it runs fine on my machine. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users