Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gunuine Windows Message

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:27 PM

i recieved this computer from my parents as a christmass gift in 05. they bought it from a buisness(not an ebay bussniness) for extreamely cheap, and its a great computer, i have upgraded the ram to a gig and got a 512mb ram graphics card that runs all bleeding edge games on high, no sweat, all this for under 300$. only one problem, i now have this thing that says i do not have genuine windows xp pro. i checked this again, and i figured the company just bought a copy of xp pro and put it on multiple computers.well i figured this could be solved easy, my dad sent numerous messages to the guy he got it from requesting the origonal copy or cd key, and to no avail. he has never responded, we have left negative feedback becuase of this. but the computer was so cheap, and runs so well(and this is the first computer i actually own) that i figured i shouldnt persue it any farther (considering it is illegal by the microsoft corparation to copy and distribute windows by sale. Vista will be coming out early 07 hopefully, and i still get xp updates, so am i really at huge risk right now, or will i be able to hold out for vista(instead of buying a copy of xp pro). also i found out i am unable to use the microsoft (i forgot maybe its victims) program to get a free copy, the only thing as there is no way to contact seller(no answers ect) and i never recieved a windows CD also, so i am not eligable.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:42 PM

Since I'm not in IT, I don't know the exact policy on XP corporate licensing, but I do know that it does not have an activation. I'm assuming that, being licensed as a group of computers, they have some way of knowing if the computer is removed from the company it's licensed to. They're concerned because one of the biggest sources of piracy is corporate licensing being used for "extra" computers that don't belong to the corporation. When Windows Vista ships, it will have a scheme whereby corporations have to run a program that counts the number of licenses being used, and the number being paid for, then turns off any extra computers.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:49 PM

Is it a name brand computer?

Do you have the Windows 25 digit key number?

If it is a name brand (ie Compaq, HP, etc) computer it probably has a legitimate installation of XP on it.

If you do not have the key number you can get it by downloading Keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com

After you have the key number call the toll free number that Microsoft gives you when you click on the "Activate Windows" and choose the phone option.

To access activate windows, click start/programs/accessories/system tools/activate windows

You have nothing to loose by trying this and everything to gain.

Explain that you bought the computer used from a business and give them the information they ask for which will be the brand and model number (and maybe the serial number) of the computer.

They will probably give you a long series of numbers which will activate windows and eliminate the annoying popup you are getting, and walk you through the process of entering it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users